import video to ableton

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
struknes

import video to ableton

Post by struknes » Tue May 16, 2017 9:10 pm

I'm trying to import a video (.mov), and the error message showing up in orange at the bottom of ableton is "the file...could not be read. It may be corrupt or not licensed."

Any suggestions? The file isn't corrupt or unlicensed. I'm viewing it right now outside of ableton. I created it using OBS Studio, a livestreaming software.
DAW: Ableton Live 9 Standard
CPU: Intel i7

HRI: Scarlett 6i6

Stromkraft

Re: import video to ableton

Post by Stromkraft » Tue May 16, 2017 9:27 pm

struknes wrote:I'm trying to import a video (.mov), and the error message showing up in orange at the bottom of ableton is "the file...could not be read. It may be corrupt or not licensed."

Any suggestions? The file isn't corrupt or unlicensed. I'm viewing it right now outside of ableton. I created it using OBS Studio, a livestreaming software.
Mov is a container. What is the actual codec you used? If you open the movie in Quicktime Player and press Cmd/Ctrl-I you can see this under format.

Or in VLC, press Cmd/Ctrl-I and select Codec Details > Codec
Make some music!

struknes

Post by struknes » Tue May 16, 2017 10:48 pm

Stromkraft wrote:
struknes wrote:I'm trying to import a video (.mov), and the error message showing up in orange at the bottom of ableton is "the file...could not be read. It may be corrupt or not licensed."

Mov is a container. What is the actual codec you used? If you open the movie in Quicktime Player and press Cmd/Ctrl-I you can see this under format.

The codec is H.264. Thanks for helping, Strom.

I'm reading the Ableton Manual here, but I'm not seeing a solution. This ableton website article says I should be able to drag and drop .mov files ( https://www.ableton.com/en/manual/working-with-video/ ), so I'm not sure why my .mov file is causing a problem.

I've tried multiple .mov files, generated from iMovie and generated from my iphone. Both of them are presenting the same error message from my original post.

struknes

Post by struknes » Wed May 17, 2017 2:12 pm

Stromkraft wrote:

The word "codec" doesn't appear a single time in the Ableton User Manual. So either codec doesn't matter, or Ableton just overlooked it in the User Manual. Also, the section on importing video is like a page long and basically just says to drag and drop and to use .mov files.

redglass

Post by redglass » Wed May 17, 2017 3:29 pm

I would change it to .mp4 with handbrake.

struknes

Post by struknes » Wed May 17, 2017 3:43 pm

handbrake. got it. i'll give it a try and report back.

redglass

Post by redglass » Wed May 17, 2017 4:14 pm

struknes wrote:handbrake. got it. i'll give it a try and report back.
also read this:

https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/artic ... n-of-Live-

struknes

Post by struknes » Wed May 17, 2017 5:58 pm

redglass wrote:
struknes wrote:handbrake. got it. i'll give it a try and report back.
also read this:

https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/artic ... n-of-Live-
The article you linked had the solution: download the Combined Community Codec Pack.
I downloaded it from the link provided in the above Ableton Knowledge Base article and voila! Now I can drag and drop my .mov files into Ableton, and they play right along with the music. And the video viewer comes up automatically.

Here's my entire process from video creation to playing it in Ableton with the music, for anyone who is interested.

First, I create .mp4 files in iMovie on my Macbook. Then, I convert them from .mp4 to .mov using Quicktime, also on my Macbook. Then, I transfer the .mov to my PC by emailing it to myself and opening it on the PC, on which I have Ableton installed. Finally, I simply drag and drop the .mov files into Ableton. Presto!

Thanks for the help, redglass.