Is the Faderfox LV1 Lacking in Pots?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
paulherron

Is the Faderfox LV1 Lacking in Pots?

Post by paulherron » Tue Jul 05, 2005 8:31 pm

Hi Everyone,

As someone who plays a lot of hearty techno loops in Live, I was just wondering if any Faderfox owners can spill the beans on how you find the number of pots provided on LV1. This looks like a good setup to me...

That's a plentiful supply of buttons and faders, but does anyone find they're lacking the ability to do filter sweeps, gradual changes in delay, or whatever else because of a lack of rotary dials? Is anyone else using extra equipment to make up for this, or would anyone recommend a setup that better addresses a desire for pots, faders AND buttons?

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Tue Jul 05, 2005 8:36 pm

I have the LX-1 (the buttons model)
and an evolution uc33.
Pretty much all you need for knobs, sliders and buttons.

(and i have a trigger finger on the way to add some pads ;) )

paulherron

Post by paulherron » Tue Jul 05, 2005 9:23 pm

That's a bloody good point hoffman. Call me a tart - I think it would be nice to have two matching units, but function has to come first. I will think seriosuly about that combo!

:D

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Tue Jul 05, 2005 9:28 pm

paulherron wrote:That's a bloody good point hoffman. Call me a tart - I think it would be nice to have two matching units, but function has to come first. I will think seriosuly about that combo!

:D
well, you can pick up a uc33 for around 100$.
Even if you're not satisfied. It shouldn't take you long to sell it again.
They are easy to program. And can also be used to smash somebody's head in. (then you beat him/her with a faderfoxmodule)
Both units are of decent build quality.

paulherron

Post by paulherron » Tue Jul 05, 2005 9:36 pm

Ooh, by the way Hoffman, how do you have that connected? If I was to go for that setup I'd be wanting to connect them to an M-Audio Audiophile FW. Can you just go from the MIDI out of the Faderfox to the MIDI in of the UC-33, and then from the MIDI out of the UC-33 to the MIDI in of the audio interface?

I presume this is what the initiated call "daisy-chaining"? :D

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Tue Jul 05, 2005 9:44 pm

faderfox to uc33 midi -in. Connected with usb. (2 input ports show up on your computer)
The faderfox runs on battery's.
I've been running with the included battery's for over 6 months now.
It uses about as much power as a tv remote control.

suburbanbather

Post by suburbanbather » Tue Jul 05, 2005 9:54 pm

paulherron wrote: Can you just go from the MIDI out of the Faderfox to the MIDI in of the UC-33, and then from the MIDI out of the UC-33 to the MIDI in of the audio interface?

I presume this is what the initiated call "daisy-chaining"? :D
Yes, I have a Uc-33 and a Midiman keystation61. I only have two usb ports and one is for my external hdd and the other is for my Uc-33. So I just connect my Uc-33 in via usb and use a midi cable to connect my key station to the Uc-33. I have to use a wall-wart to power the keystation if I'm not at home, since I power it with my desktop which is always on.

wildcon

Post by wildcon » Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:16 am

Hi,

I have the LV1 and have just ordered the LX 1

Don't be fooled by the apparent lack of pots.

In 'track' mode the 4 pots will control 4 send levels (on each selected track)
This can be configured however you want it, so for instance maybe two sends and 2 pots for control of filter sweeps, eq's etc.

There are two further sets for effects accessed by pushing one of the 3 small buttons above the pots - so the 4 pots on the second set can be used for controling any control of any insert effect for by using the 'midi learn' function. This can then be done for the 3rd set.

So you basically have 12 rotary dials available (3 x 4).

You can also do the same with the Joystick controlling pans effects etc, although I find this a little fiddly and easy to accidentally knock.

Try downloading the manual from the website. Or mailing Mathius direct. He is very helpful.

I absolutely love the Faderfox. My only critisism is the joystick which is just too fiddly and easy to move.

Also if you have fat fingers, you will probably fin it a little too compact.
MacBook Pro, Mojave, Live 10, Logic Pro X, UAD Apollo & Satellites, UAD, NI Komplete, Izotope, Korg, Audio Damage, Fabfilter, Waves plugs.

elemental

Post by elemental » Wed Jul 06, 2005 11:25 am

I have 2 x LV-1 and an LX-1

Just getting to know them, and I think its just about getting quick and precise ( ( = practice ) - I still would like to have a dedicated knob for eq / filter etc on each channel, but for this size thats just not gonna happen ...

They are wicked controllers imo.

paulherron

Post by paulherron » Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:59 pm

Thanks for the advice so far everyone! The UC-33 is a great unit - I definitely overlooked that.

I think my options are either...

1) M-Audio UC-33 and Fadefox LX1.

or

2) Faderfox LX1 and LV1, possibly with something like a tiny Doepfer Pocket Control/Dial to add to the 12 efffective rotary controls on the Faderfox.

I'd love to meet the guy who sat down at the Doepfer board table and said "Right everyone, I've come up with a great paintjob for this Pocket Control".

I think either setup would please me greatly! I'll keep you posted on what I get hold of!

FORMAT

Post by FORMAT » Fri Jul 08, 2005 7:46 am

I would go Faderfox all the way.... My units just arrived yesterday, and I've tried other controllers as well, but these units are just so intuitive---- they're made for Live. The major selling point for them, apart from rigid build quality, clear layout, low battery consumption and size, is that Live feels, for the first time, like playing a groovebox kind of machine --- "just make music". Just getting into them, but they're wonderful.

R.,

Per Boysen

Post by Per Boysen » Fri Jul 08, 2005 9:48 am

I bought a LV1 when my UC-33 started to fall apart. I like them both and think they make a good pair. But I can't trust my UC-33 any more, it rarely works. The USB connection is going down for periods, or should I rather say; for short periods the USB is visable to my lappy, but mostly not ;-/

What I liked with the UC-33 is the ultra fast access to knobs. The LV1 also has a lot of knobs but the same physical knob is used for many "virtual knobs" which means they are never in the right position when you dial them up to make small adjustments. What I like with the LV1 is the tiny format, good for travelling.
Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
http://www.perboysen.com

mike holiday

Post by mike holiday » Fri Jul 08, 2005 10:13 am

plenty of pots..if only they were endless but the shift button works

and the thing just fits nicely between my trackball and keyboard
dual 1.8 G4 10.4.9 w/768 ram & A&H xone 3D

"I ain't often right but I've never been wrong"