Roland TB-03 won't appear in MIDI setup

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
francois dillinger

Roland TB-03 won't appear in MIDI setup

Post by francois dillinger » Sun May 21, 2017 11:56 pm

Hey, need some help here diagnosing what feels like a simple issue. I have a TB-03 that won't seem to load as a MIDI device when connected to my iMac via USB. My other boutique synth JX-03 works fine, as does my Analog Rytm, and Korg Monologue. For some reason, the TB-03 just doesn't respond. It plays fine unconnected through the internal speaker, and I've connected it before through my MX-1. However, now connected directly it won't show up.

Thoughts? Thanks, Ben

hps909

Re: Roland TB-03 won't appear in MIDI setup

Post by hps909 » Mon May 22, 2017 9:58 am

does the audio device show up? does the midi or audio show up in audio midi setup in utilities? if it's not there the drivers probably need to be installed again ... you installed the tb03 drivers yeah? they're different to the boutique drivers
macbook pro 2.5 i5 os 10.12 , TC Electronik Konnekt 48, Live 9, Cubase 9, event 20/20, Waldorf Blofeld, roland tb-03, roland Jx-03, korg mikrokontrol, novation nocturn, akai lpd8

francois dillinger

Post by francois dillinger » Mon May 22, 2017 12:21 pm

hps909 wrote:does the audio device show up? does the midi or audio show up in audio midi setup in utilities? if it's not there the drivers probably need to be installed again ... you installed the tb03 drivers yeah? they're different to the boutique drivers
Thanks for the thoughts - nothing shows up, not even in audio midi setup. I've updated the firmware for the TB-03 and installed the drivers, maybe I should re-install everything? It did work when connected to the MX-1 but not connected directly to the computer. I also tried it via MIDI to the JX-03 using battery power but still no luck in getting sounds. I'll try the drivers again.

Thanks.

rogerio pt

Post by rogerio pt » Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:52 pm

Hey François,

I had the same problem.

Are you using a Mac?

If so try this, it is on the readme file:

In "System Preferences," click "Security & Privacy."
Open the General tab and check if any message indicating the loading of the system software being blocked is displayed.
* If not displayed, restart the computer, connect TB-03 to the computer, and then check the display again.
If displayed, confirm that the publisher is "Roland Corporation" and click "Allow".
* If the loading of system software of multiple publishers is blocked, click "Allow" to display a list of developers. Select "Roland Corporation" and then click [OK].
If asked to restart, click [Restart] to restart the computer.

Cheers! :)

MikiHara

Post by MikiHara » Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:17 pm

I seem to be having a similar problem, I upgraded to mac os Big Sur, and my tb-03 is upgraded to 1.06, and there is no additional usb software from the roland site. it's best is 1.05, but with apple audio midi its supposedly not needed. However, I can't get the tb-03 to appear in midi studio, or audio midi setup. when I go to system report under usb tree the boutique is there, but it is not connecting.

MikiHara

Post by MikiHara » Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:14 am

actually none of my roland gear will connect, but my sub 37 will

rpol

Post by rpol » Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:29 pm

I had problems too with my newly acquired TB-03 on Mac, even after checking the allow box in the security settings - which only came up after the second time of running the installer.

In the end installing the drivers a third time worked and now it connects fine - this is on Mojave.

I now have various boutiques all working and as part of an aggregate device.