Roland VR700 Organ sound stops when closing Ableton

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
welltones

Roland VR700 Organ sound stops when closing Ableton

Post by welltones » Wed May 24, 2017 3:25 pm

I have been fight this problem for sometime now and have not been able to resolve it or find a work around other than unplugging the USB MIDI cable when closing Ableton.

Ableton appears to be sending something over the USB MIDI that freaks out the VR700 Organ sound only, the Ensemble sounds still work fine.

The only way to bring the organ back is to power cycle the VR700.

I'm running the latest code on the VR700 and find no help on the Roland boards.

Currently Running Ableton live 9.1.7 Build 2014-12-12_411c6f8237 (32) bit under Windows 7.

If anyone has any ideas I would really appreciate it!
Thanks
Tom

doghouse

Re: Roland VR700 Organ sound stops when closing Ableton

Post by doghouse » Fri May 26, 2017 3:05 pm

Do you have access to a MIDI monitor program like MIDI-OX? It can capture what is being sent to the the VR700 when you close Live.

Good luck.

welltones

Post by welltones » Sat May 27, 2017 1:44 am

no, but not sure what I would do with the info? Maybe put a midi filter between. Do they make such a device as a stand alone or would I have to somehow interrupt the MIDI messages coming out of the specific USB port that is connected to the VR700 and filter the offending message out? This may also create further latency. If I use the standard MIDI Din connector from the M-Box it does not happen. I found a Midi Merger that will allow me to connect my setup as needed and ditch the USB connection completely, so I will try that first.

doghouse

Post by doghouse » Sat May 27, 2017 12:34 pm

If it only happens over USB, then it sounds like the VR is responding to some sort of garbage being output over the USB connection that your M-box is filtering out. Does the VR use a driver like most Rolands? That's the likely culprit.

welltones

Post by welltones » Sat May 27, 2017 9:19 pm

Likely your right, but the USB Midi Driver in the Roland as far as I can figure is not separately update-able. As I indicated before the VR700 is running the latest OS.

welltones

Post by welltones » Sun May 28, 2017 1:03 pm

So I downloaded MIDIOX and experiencing some bazaar behavior.
I will not recognize Ableton, nor can I get Ableton to recognize MIDIOX regardless of the order in which I launch the programs.

Further more if I launch Ableton first when trying to add any device except the M-Box I get a message from MIDI OX that there is "insufficient memory".
I checked my HP Windows 7 Labtop resources and I still have over 2GB of Physical memory available. So not sure what is going on here?

If I don't launch Ableton the MIDIOX seems to work properly adding the devices and displaying the traffic. Be nice to be able to turn the time-stamp off?

If I launch MIDIOX first it takes control of the assigned devices so when Ableton send traffic the devices never see anything.

To see what is going on with my VR700 Organ problem I would think I would need to somehow get the MIDI OX device seen in Ableton first then assign the original VR700 traffic to MIDOX, then in MIDIOX assign the Ableton device to the VR700 that way the traffic will go through the MIDIOX program for monitoring and filtering.

So bottom line not sure why these to programs are not playing well together?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

welltones

Post by welltones » Mon May 29, 2017 6:46 pm

Finally got the MIDI-OX and Yoke installed, but not without much pain, see notes below.

Initially I was not seeing any traffic to the VR700 from Ableton when I closed it? Not sure why, I did see all the traffic going to the VR700 from Ableton when running the sequencer though, so I know I have things patched up correctly. So I'm not sure what was going on. But oddly enough when I ran the traffic through the MIDI-OX/Yoke program and then close Ableton the VR700 Organ is not getting roached. So effectively the problem seemed to be solved, but I'm not sure why. From a first look at this setup the Latency seems negligent, but not run clicks or drum sounds so the jury is not out on that yet. The filters had only have "System Realtime" checked as a default. Not sure what that means? After unchecking and then re checking the "System Realtime" and selecting all of the individual filter in that subgroup the problem came back and I started to see a slew of messages go out to the VR700 when closing Ableton. It's like the filters were filtering out some communication other than the note on and off by default and by fooling with the setting the filters were then turned off allowing the problem to come back...very strange! I then started with filtering everything out except the note On/off and the problem went away. I isolated the filtering to only the volume control and that was it. Unfortunately just hitting the volume pedal of the organ does not bring it back.

So bottom line upon closing Ableton it is sending a lot of unnecessary junk to VR700 and within that junk is a Volume control command that is shutting down the organ sound. Thank you Ableton!!!

Just some notes:
MIDI-OX and MIDI Yoke are (2) separate installs but are really one program. Nothing to launch to start MIDI Yoke. This is confusing and not really made clear.
MIDI Yoke will not install properly with Windows 7. Need to right click on the installer and have windows fix it first. Then when Windows is almost finished restart the installer, it will then install completely.

First launch MIDI-OX: under the Options -Device window.
Assign Midi Outputs to: VR700 will show up as"VR-700" in the Port Mapping window.
Assign MIDI In to Yoke 2 will show up as "In from Midi Yoke: 2" in the PortMap Objects: window.
Now launch Ableton
Under Options/Preferences Midi Tab:
Assign VR700 to MIDI Yoke 2
Select The MIDI track assigned to the VR700 and Change the MIDI to "Out to MIDI Yoke 2"
Keep the MIDI channel the same.

welltones

Post by welltones » Tue May 30, 2017 3:22 pm

So... to create a usable fix for this problem I created a MIDI script that restores the Volume, on the VR700. This script will resides on the desktop as the MIDI-OX Play Bar which apparently stays active even when MIDI-OX program has been closed.

1) Create an Ableton Midi File that sends a volume "07" command change from 0 to 127 to the VR700 channel 1 by recording a single note. Edit the clip in session view and click the "E" button, select "07" Volume in the Envelopes box under MIDI controllers. Draw the Volume change under the note displayed with Pen Icon. Play the sequence to test and then save it by using "Export Midi" on the file menu.

2) Then with MIDI-OX select "Play Midi File Using MCI" from the tool bar.
3) The Play Bar will appear.
4) Select the folder icon on the Play Bar and choose the MIDI file created by Ableton.
5) Select the MIDI icon in the Play Bar and choose the VR700 (Devices had already been set up for output to VR700?)
6) Click the play arrow on the Play Bar.
7) The organ note that was recorded in the Ableton MIDI file should sound.

This should restore the volume setting after you close an Ableton Project File.