Just tried out spectrasonics omnisphere...

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Paul G Griffiths

Just tried out spectrasonics omnisphere...

Post by Paul G Griffiths » Thu May 25, 2017 11:51 am

Tried it off a friend.
50 Gig in size and would of thought quite a few good sounds. How wrong I was, takes ages to change sounds too so got bored real quick.
To be honest think when the developers decided to make 50 Gig of sounds they needed visit a hospital and have their head examined, would of thought they would of noticed their synth is not very good and stopped after 50-100 sounds.

Think ill stick to Synthmaster 2 for now, though if any one has a suggestion for a superior synth then please tell.
Griffiths Engines: http://griffithsengines.com - ArcturusDrive©

Tarekith

Re: Just tried out spectrasonics omnisphere...

Post by Tarekith » Thu May 25, 2017 1:55 pm

There's a quick load option in the browser to speed things up if you're not using an SSD drive.

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Thu May 25, 2017 2:11 pm

Paul G Griffiths wrote:Tried it off a friend.
50 Gig in size and would of thought quite a few good sounds. How wrong I was, takes ages to change sounds too so got bored real quick.
To be honest think when the developers decided to make 50 Gig of sounds they needed visit a hospital and have their head examined, would of thought they would of noticed their synth is not very good and stopped after 50-100 sounds.

Think ill stick to Synthmaster 2 for now, though if any one has a suggestion for a superior synth then please tell.

I have a Fusion Drive and it doesn't seem to take too long to load. If you stick with the synth portion of Omnisphere, i hardly get any loading delays.

That said Synthmaster is more of a synth where Omnisphere is more synth/sample playback hybrid so Synthmaster would be quicker for general loading of presets.

Omnisphere is a pretty decent/intuitive synth though with great presets.

aklisiewicz

Post by aklisiewicz » Thu May 25, 2017 3:27 pm

I have entire library placed on SSD and all patches load quite fest so at most it takes 1-3 sec to load. Omnisphere however has some other issues and support is not very helpful. They respond rather quickly but when I asked them 6 questions and they answered only 1 - something is not right. They keep telling me how busy they are and the guy contacted me kept saying how helpful he is and how valuable is his time. The fact that there is about 20% of patches which are almost identical also irritates me. In general it is god synth but for me it should cost no more than $300 (that would be the appropriate price for what you get). I bought my boxed version on Amazon and install from the HD did not worked at all. It took entire week from the purchase to get this thing working. Nice part about Omnisphere is that you can buy 3rd party libraries and you can also import own samples so possibilities are almost endless. To use it though you need really powerful PC (6-8 core and 32Gig/RAM, min. SSD HD)

Art
"You are what you think you are"
Sadarahu

Paul G Griffiths

Post by Paul G Griffiths » Thu May 25, 2017 3:36 pm

Yes, got a ssd drive its only 64g and windows is on it, so got on normal hard drive. So each sound takes about 10 seconds to load. :(

Going to take it off as only trying it out.

aklisiewicz

Post by aklisiewicz » Thu May 25, 2017 4:56 pm

I bought Samsung 128Gb about year ago. After installing win10 and other software there was not much space left. I purchased another 1TB Sandisk SSD (not very expensive) and put Live + entire sound library and my NI Komplete on this drive. I also added extra 16Gb of RAM so now I have 32Gig. This works really well as far as performance and loading times for patches are very fast. The only problem I experience is to open entire project in Live which sometimes takes 3+ min to open. This usually happens when I have lots of KONTAKT instruments in the project. Samples in Omnisphere take much longer to load so if you stay away from the patches with samples it would open very quick. The hardest load it takes when you use MULTI's. You also might want to adjust your MIDI AUDIO controler driver. Usually they have settings in sense of how much RAM or how many samples you want to allow to load in one time. This has to be balanced because the more samples the smoother the sound but less RAM you have for other things.
"You are what you think you are"
Sadarahu

login

Post by login » Thu May 25, 2017 7:04 pm

I personally don't like the GUI, nevertheless it is used a lot because all those 50gb contain samples of interesting sounds that when used with the synth engine provide results no other synth can.

Many times when I listen to some electronic artists I can hear sounds that doesn't come form a typical synth, sounds mostly based on samples and then I have found it comes from a preset in omnisohere.

digitalgeist

Post by digitalgeist » Thu May 25, 2017 9:20 pm

I love it, that granular synthesizer... :D
But not all carpenters use the same tools.
--
Thanks!
Alex K/ Digital Geist

http://www.digitalgeist.com

Paul G Griffiths

Post by Paul G Griffiths » Thu May 25, 2017 11:06 pm

antic604 wrote:
Paul G Griffiths wrote:50 Gig in size and would of thought quite a few good sounds (...) have their head examined, would of thought they would of noticed their synth
Being British you really have no excuse for not knowing it's "would have"...
Thank you for correcting my English Grammar.
Due to your knowledge of the English language your more than welcome to come live in my country.
You can join the 100's of other Polish people living in my town. Don't worry about going hungry craving for Polish food, the largest shop in my town is a Polish food shop. :lol:

Paul G Griffiths

Post by Paul G Griffiths » Fri May 26, 2017 6:28 am

antic604 wrote:
Paul G Griffiths wrote:Due to your knowledge of the English language your more than welcome to come live in my country.[/img]
"you're" ;)
Never did very well in my English lesson's. Math's was OK.

Liam

Post by Liam » Fri May 26, 2017 12:05 pm

Apostrophe madness?

Liam

Post by Liam » Fri May 26, 2017 12:27 pm

antic604 wrote:
Liam wrote:Apostrophe madness?
More like apostrophe catastrophe...
Ha ha