Best way to save audio clips as samples for future use

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
colulizard

Best way to save audio clips as samples for future use

Post by colulizard » Wed May 31, 2017 3:50 pm

So what i want to do is spend some time creating my own samples for future use, not as part of any specific project.
Maybe from an external synth, drum machine or whatever (or mangling exisitng samples).

I have a folder on an external hard drive called "Samples" and various other sub-folders, one I want to call "Custom samples" (Original right?)

So, if i record some audio in session view and I want to save quickly in "Customer Samples" can i just drag the clip into that folder in the browser, or do I need to create these clips in a specific project to do this? It seems that when i tried before the clip was empty when i open Live the next time.

I would rather not export every clip as it's quite long winded.

Cheers for advice on best practice.

Stromkraft

Re: Best way to save audio clips as samples for future use

Post by Stromkraft » Wed May 31, 2017 7:45 pm

colulizard wrote:So what i want to do is spend some time creating my own samples for future use, not as part of any specific project.
Maybe from an external synth, drum machine or whatever (or mangling exisitng samples).

I have a folder on an external hard drive called "Samples" and various other sub-folders, one I want to call "Custom samples" (Original right?)

So, if i record some audio in session view and I want to save quickly in "Customer Samples" can i just drag the clip into that folder in the browser, or do I need to create these clips in a specific project to do this? It seems that when i tried before the clip was empty when i open Live the next time.
Welll, as the audio is in a file on your disk, why not move that into that folder structure and name it? Why use a clip at all? It's audio, right? Just right-click and choose "Show in browser".

Audio Finder is great for building a library, but I also have my samples folder in the Live browser so I can reference my samples directly to the audio files without necessarily move these into every project I might use them in before archiving (At which point I do move the ones I use in that project).
Make some music!

digitalgeist

Re: Best way to save audio clips as samples for future use

Post by digitalgeist » Wed May 31, 2017 10:43 pm

If you're looking to create a library for yourself of audio clips you've created, you need to start organized at the beginning and stay organized.
Normally what I do is record the clip I'm looking to export by routing the audio to an audio track, record it then export it into an appropriate folder.
If you right-click there's an option to show the recorded file - "Show in Finder" is what it's called on a Mac. I then copy that file into a folder that's named for both BPM and key (124bpm C Harmonic Minor, for example). You can amass a great sample pool from that over time. As far as I know, there isn't an easier way to do it. It's really important to be organized about it though and not use generic names.

I also tend to keep drum sounds I create with offboard gear within one audio track. I play each hit as it's recording and then slice the recording up and lay it into a drum rack. It's just easier for me to do it that way rather than have a million drum hit samples to sift through.
--
Thanks!
Alex K/ Digital Geist

http://www.digitalgeist.com