Need help finding something in Lives Manual - Launch Pad

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
gjm

Need help finding something in Lives Manual - Launch Pad

Post by gjm » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:48 am

I recently acquired a LaunchPad S. In Lives built in lessons, in the MIDI Control Surfaces Reference section (p41 of 50), you make your way to a page about the Launch Pad. The following is a quote from the built in lessons...

"Because this controller has so many control possibilities, we have written a dedicated chapter in the Ableton Reference Manual to help you learn more about configuring and working with the launchPad."

There is a link in this section to the Ableton Reference Manual which when you click opens the reference manual on page 1 of 689.

I have checked both the Contents and Index sections of the manual for a reference to either the LaunchPad directly (because as I read it there is a dedicated chapter) or indirectly in the section on 'MIDI and Key Remote Control' Chapter 26, and I cannot find any info on configuring and working with the LaunchPad.

These all seem to be logical steps to take with a reference manual, but I don't seem to be able to find the promised info. Does anyone know where this LaunchPad section of the manual is? I would be grateful if you could point me in the right direction.

Cheers. G.
iMac - 10.10.3 - Live 9 Suite - APC40 - Axiom 61 - TX81z - Firestudio Mobile - Focal Alpha 80's - Godin Session - Home made foot controller

yur2die4

Re: Need help finding something in Lives Manual - Launch Pad

Post by yur2die4 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:51 am

The Launchpad for the most part functions as the default behavior as long as you set it up properly in midi prefs.

Beyond that, you can do some basic midi mapping.

Even further beyond that, one might use extra programming, software, or scripts to have it have additional functions beyond the default. Things like this are scattered around the Internet and it depends on what kind of functionality you're looking to implement.

Lastly, the Novation site probably has some documentation on more technical functions.

So I guess it depends on what you're looking for more info on or what you're trying to do.

TomKern

Post by TomKern » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:02 am

It's on page 577-587 in chapter 29 in my manual. Just doing a text search for "Launchpad" turned it up in seconds. My manual only has 639 pages though, so maybe you are suing a different version? (mine is still from Live 9.2)
(or are you using a dead tree version?!)

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:12 pm

the current version of the Live manual doesn't mention the Launchpad anywhere...

gjm

Post by gjm » Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:17 pm

TomKern wrote:It's on page 577-587 in chapter 29 in my manual. Just doing a text search for "Launchpad" turned it up in seconds. My manual only has 639 pages though, so maybe you are suing a different version? (mine is still from Live 9.2)
(or are you using a dead tree version?!)
I am using Live 9.7.2, latest version. In my manual (which has no version numbers), page 577 is titled 'Chapter 28 - Using Push 2.'

Doing a text search does not reveal one single reference for the Launch Pad in this entire manual.
fishmonkey wrote:the current version of the Live manual doesn't mention the Launchpad anywhere...
It is clear that a chapter on the Launch Pad should be in the manual but it has not made it's way in yet. Perhaps next update.
iMac - 10.10.3 - Live 9 Suite - APC40 - Axiom 61 - TX81z - Firestudio Mobile - Focal Alpha 80's - Godin Session - Home made foot controller

TomKern

Post by TomKern » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:52 pm

gjm wrote:
fishmonkey wrote:the current version of the Live manual doesn't mention the Launchpad anywhere...
It is clear that a chapter on the Launch Pad should be in the manual but it has not made it's way in yet. Perhaps next update.
It was in in 9.2 and isn't in in 9.7, so it seems prudent to change the word from yet to anymore to correct this sentence. So I wouldn't keep my hopes up for the next update.
Sorry about that :(

My guess is, the not so current Launchpad lost its significance to Ableton and got dropped from the manual in place of the description for other controllers while they forgot to remove the link to this section from the lessons.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:10 pm

If you have any questions about the functionality, this forum is a good place to start.

annadyne

Post by annadyne » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:44 am

This sucks... I just dug out my old Launchpad to use with Looper since Native Kontrol's Python scripts for Push 2 don't play well with Midi Mapping. Now I can't find any info on the LP mk1. Certainly not in my Live 9.7.1 manual.
The Programmer's manual in my Novation Account is NOT that helpful either.

Crap. Could Ableton at least have this archived somewhere - older manual version?

Maybe I can DL L8 just for the manual.

:x

annadyne

Post by annadyne » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:53 am

OK ... had to get a little grrr-y about it but was able to DL Live 8 manual from within my account - searched in the Help section - and here's a whole chapter on the Launchpad!!!!

https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/artic ... e-8-Manual

8)

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:27 am

If you want to add advanced functions, look up Launchpad95. I always use it.

gjm

Post by gjm » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:06 pm

annadyne wrote:OK ... had to get a little grrr-y about it but was able to DL Live 8 manual from within my account - searched in the Help section - and here's a whole chapter on the Launchpad!!!!

https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/artic ... e-8-Manual

8)
Brilliant! Thanks for this. Seems so obvious now to have searched for the Live 8 Manual :roll: :D

Cheers. G.

gjm

Post by gjm » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:12 pm

yur2die4 wrote:If you want to add advanced functions, look up Launchpad95. I always use it.
Thanks for this! Looks great! Not quite there yet but have book marked for a later time.

Cheers. G.