Triggering scenes with Ableton and LaunchLey

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
waterfordogs

Triggering scenes with Ableton and LaunchLey

Post by waterfordogs » Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:04 pm

Hi all

I am currently using Ableton Live 9 with a Korg microstation.

I have a large Live Set which includes all our tracks. Currently I map keys on the Korg on a specific MIDI channel to activate scenes for a specific track in Ableton. This is working rather well.

However, I'm aware of the limitations of Korg in terms of mapping and what is possible with the launch key. Having said that, watching videos seems to suggest the way to trigger a scene is to use the launch panel (and use up/down keys to move to the relevant scene to trigger).

This sounds like it would potentially mean me having to press more than one key/button in order to change to a different scene. For example, if I have a structure like A-B-C-A and I'm on C I'd need to click the button twice to get back to A. Currently I only have to press the keynote I've mapped to A to do this. Also, since I have a large number of scenes in my lives, moving from one track to another would seem more tricky.....as I'd need to scroll through all scenes to find what I want. Currently I just need to change the MIDI channel!

Anyone out there know what the proper way to do this is. Is that it? If so, I see pros/cons of using the launch key for scene activation, especially if you're dealing with multiple tracks in one live set.

Kind Regards

Richard

gjm

Re: Triggering scenes with Ableton and LaunchLey

Post by gjm » Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:27 pm

waterfordogs wrote:...Having said that, watching videos seems to suggest the way to trigger a scene is to use the launch panel (and use up/down keys to move to the relevant scene to trigger).

This sounds like it would potentially mean me having to press more than one key/button in order to change to a different scene...
I have a LaunchKey 61 Mk1. And yes, you do have to press the up/down buttons to move between scenes, one press per scene. I find I also have to keep one eye on the computer screen also to make sure I navigate to the right scene because there is just no way to know where you are in a set by just relying on the LK setup.

Cheers. G.
iMac - 10.10.3 - Live 9 Suite - APC40 - Axiom 61 - TX81z - Firestudio Mobile - Focal Alpha 80's - Godin Session - Home made foot controller

waterfordogs

Post by waterfordogs » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:05 am

thanks

Hmmm.....doesn't sound great. That wouldn't work at all for me.

I guess I can still work the same way I do anyway - at least I'll get the benefits of all the other mappings to devices etc.

Presumably you can change the midi channel in the keyboard....how easy is it to do that? So, if I wanted to change from midi channel 2 for one track to midi channel 3 for the next track, is it easy enough to do?

Regards

doghouse

Post by doghouse » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:26 am

Get a Launchpad. It has a visual indication on screen of what eight tracks and eight scenes are currently under control. You only have to scroll when you need to access more than eight scenes.