Ableton Project file to Test you CPU

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Chuku

Ableton Project file to Test you CPU

Post by Chuku » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:25 am

Is there anyway that i can test my CPU through Heavy Ableton free projects?
I want to test how much my mac can handle.. Is there anyway that i can do ?
Thanks alot

yur2die4

Re: Ableton Project file to Test you CPU

Post by yur2die4 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:13 pm

I would just do a search of the forum. I think there are two ongoing threads. It's not really absolutely indicative of processing power but it does allow one to compare their computer with a large number of other computers.

I would focus more on just learning what the limitations of your computer are and trying to avoid getting to them. Sometimes we become so aware of these things that we think it will kill any possibility of making music.

The truth is, even our cell phones are more capable devices than computers that made some of the classic albums of the 90's.

Emanresu0891

Post by Emanresu0891 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:29 am

yur2die4 wrote:
The truth is, even our cell phones are more capable devices than computers that made some of the classic albums of the 90's.
The unwanted limitations are why the albums sound that way which probably played part in the created outcome of the albums.
I guess im trying to say that maybe the albums back then would sound totally different if the people had nearly the same creative possibilities of today... although i think we are still far behind.

marlonzuri

Post by marlonzuri » Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:35 pm

yur2die4 wrote:The truth is, even our cell phones are more capable devices than computers that made some of the classic albums of the 90's.
Damn you really hit the nail on the head with that one.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:55 pm

Emanresu0891, sound what way?

I'm just saying that it did not stop people from using what at that time was considered an expansion of musical possibilities. OK Computer sounds pretty good to my ears.

lovelight

Post by lovelight » Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:43 am

Beethoven, Mozart, Chopin, Vivaldi etc made music with very limited tools, and you can still enjoy listen to it 100 years later on, a lot of music today with plenty of tools and computer power is enjoyable for 1 minute

https://www.facebook.com/AbletonPushVstRacks/

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:11 pm

A bit of a reminder of how far things have come

MIDI Music Atari ST, Apple, Amiga, Casio, Ensoniq The Computer Chronicles Oct. 3, 1986

The Computer Chronicles - Atari ST (1989)

And honestly for what power it actually had and the fact: Ni Instruments, No EQ, No Effects (just basic sample manipulation), No Multi-Timbre Instruments, No VST, No Busses, No Sends, No Live Record, No Piano Roll, No Clip Mode, No Editing, No Automation...... Just small audio samples and, 4 tracks!

Amiga Music: Jogeir Liljedahl Compilation #1

That's where I started, though Fasttracker for PC and there was real skill in getting so much sound out of so little, I kind of miss the limitations these days having way too much choice. Some of the music that comes out of this video is damn good considering it would easily fit on a floppy disk (1.44MB) including the software used to make it and all samples.