Abelton dj setup

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Abled2017

Abelton dj setup

Post by Abled2017 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:00 pm

I have been trying to dj with a setup using ableton a djm 800 and focusrite 6i6. Im doing something wrong and need help lol. Focusrite hasnt been much help. I can assign the ableton tracks but need to be able to hear the mix controls from the djm.

yur2die4

Re: Abelton dj setup

Post by yur2die4 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:41 pm

Maybe describe how you have it set up. There are a number of ways this could be set up, each with unique circumstances.

Depends primarily on your list of how you want things to function when you dj.

Abled2017

Post by Abled2017 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:32 am

I was just going to use the ableton tracks as the decks and the djm as external mixer. I have the djm channels run to the focusrite output lines but the only way i can hear the controls of the mixer is if i plug the aux cord into the headphone jack of the djm lol. Im just lookin for a basic way to mix rn

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:58 am

What are your speakers connected to?

markwphoto

Post by markwphoto » Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:12 am

Perhaps I can shed some light on your setup. I used to have the 6i6 and it can be a bit quirky to understand. While I'm not familiar with the DJM-800 I did look at the pictures and it doesn't look that complicated.

It sounds like you're trying to feed the ouputs of the 6i6 to the inputs of the DJM-800. Now if you plan to use stereo then understand that the 6i6 only has 3 stereo outputs 2 pairs will can be analog 1/4 inch jacks and the other can use the SPDIF digital output. If you plan to use mono then you can use Analog outputs 1234 fed into the the Left inputs on each channel of the DJM

In Live you need to open the I/O section and set the outputs of each track you have setup. so for instance track one would be deck 1, you should see Audio To. Under Audio To set the mix/track to output 1 of the Focusrite. If you want a stereo output you need to set it the Output 1/2. Track 2 would be Audio To Output 2 or Output 3/4 if you're using a stereo mix.

Now on the 6i6 you'll need cable that will convert the 1/4 inch to an RCA stereo connection. Connect this to the DJM-800 RCA Line input jacks. Track 1 in Ableton goes to Output 1 on the Focusrite Output 1 and connects to Line 1 on DJM-800. Track 2 goes to Line 2, etc.

Note: Make sure in Live's preferences that you have the outputs enabled in the Audio section

Load and audio file on Track 1 in Live and hit play. You should hear in respectively on Mix channel 1 on the DJM.

If you don't then you may not have to make some adjustments in the Focusrite Mix Control Software. I have a video about the Mixcontrol software here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDo7-fzzKtY

In short you may need to make sure the output on output 1 is turned up enough in the MixControl Software

Get one channel output working at a time and before you know it, you should be all setup.

Also note make sure you main output from the DJM is connected to your monitors and turned on.

HTH