Help with latency issues after upgrading computer

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ajbooker

Help with latency issues after upgrading computer

Post by ajbooker » Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:35 am

I recently upgraded from an old 2012 macbook pro to a 17' HP Omen, as the mac has almost had it after 5 years. The new laptop is a fairly powerful gaming computer, and handles anything else I throw at it extremely well, but trying to run Ableton with a Novation Launchkey 49 MIDI keyboard and a guitar running through a BOSS ME-80 multi effects pedal/interface, there is always a great deal of delay between what I'm playing and what I hear. Trying to reduce buffer sizes and latency settings only ends up with crackle so bad anything I play pretty much sounds like static. I've looked through heaps of related forums and tried anything I can think but nothing seems to fix it. I'm not running anything super high end, just trying to get one MIDI track or one audio track to work but nothing is working... If anyone has any ideas that might help I'm willing to try anything, as there is no reason the OMEN shouldn't be able to handle

fishmonkey

Re: Help with latency issues after upgrading computer

Post by fishmonkey » Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:26 am

what audio interface are you using???

ajbooker

Post by ajbooker » Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:41 am

fishmonkey wrote:what audio interface are you using???
the ME-80 has a built in audio interface so i can plug that straight in via usb, and the midi keyboard does not require one

soundklinik 33

Post by soundklinik 33 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:27 pm

ajbooker wrote:
fishmonkey wrote:what audio interface are you using???
the ME-80 has a built in audio interface so i can plug that straight in via usb, and the midi keyboard does not require one

Try to get a good sound card with MIDI in/out, audio in, USB in etc...even a second hand...RME, NI, there are lots of good sound cards.
If you have iPad go with IConnectivity 4+

Also download "latency monitor " and run it, it will tell you if the audio card is capable. It runs in ASIO mode?
iPad-AIR 2, Lenovo x220-laptop, Squarp Pyramid, Elektron Digitakt