Ableton+Macbook "Invisible" yet fully working Vst`s ?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
spanktron

Ableton+Macbook "Invisible" yet fully working Vst`s ?

Post by spanktron » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:56 pm

Hello everyone.
Hope all is well and healthy and inspired.

I have a weird thing happening for a few years now but today i decided to search for help cause it starts driving me nuts...

I noticed that there are more than one Vst plugins that have an "installer". In other words they have an automatic installation and not the typical
"drag Vst into the Vst folder" way of doing things.

My problem:

I can`t for the love of God find some of them on my computer no matter how hard i try. They are not in the Vst folder and even in "show hidden things" mode i still can`t see them.
Only some of them have some "preset" somewhere. But i never get to "see" the Plugin itself ANYWHERE!! ????
The weirder thing is i can work with them wonderfully in Ableton. If i browse the name it`s there and i can use it flawlessly......
Only my Mac Finder never shows it even if i browse it under "hidden items".

Please someone tell me they have encountered this and know what i am facing? i am on El Capitan and macbook pro 2011 and Live 9.3 suite or whatever the newest version is

I am not the super expert with computers and this really is beyond me.

Kindest of kind regards to everyone.
Peace,
S

alpertt

Re: Ableton+Macbook "Invisible" yet fully working Vst`s ?

Post by alpertt » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:26 pm

What are the plugins?
Arturia does that for example..
They are in /Library/Arturia/Product_name

Everybody else knows their place:
/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST

There is also
~/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST (User library, invisible one)
But i dont see any VST there.

(BTW its funny that User Library is hidden and System Library not!)

spanktron

Post by spanktron » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:03 pm

alpertt wrote:What are the plugins?
Arturia does that for example..
They are in /Library/Arturia/Product_name

Everybody else knows their place:
/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST

There is also
~/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST (User library, invisible one)
But i dont see any VST there.

(BTW its funny that User Library is hidden and System Library not!)
Hey there!

Hmm they are really more than 1-2 something (felt) like 5-10 plugins.

One Example AOM Invisible Limiter . It`s installed and runs perfectly. Only it`s basically nowhere. Not in /library/audio/plug ins/ vst-component-vst 3 ...... Natha!

In El Capitan the only way to see the Library/ is with cmd+shift+L . If i don`t do this i can`t see the Library.
Also funny is that sometimes when i need to show "the thread" to some plugins i can`t evenm choose them cause they are in Library and if you go through through a different
way than with FINDER you can`T make LIBRARY visible in order to choose it.....

The only place i see Invisible Limiter or Metric Halo for example is Library/caches/Ableton/Presets/AudioUnits/A.O.M -> inside there lies a folder named Invisible Limiter. Inside the folder lies "Default.aupreset"..... same goes for others. Always an "aupreset" but not the Plugin itself....

My problem is i wanted to organize (at last) my 3rd party plugins in categories in order to find them more quickly cause they are simply too many to remember by name. I made folders with "alisases" of the plugins but can`t do this if i don`t "see" the plugin anywhere...

alpertt

Post by alpertt » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:55 pm

Sorry cant stop myself:

Ofcourse you cant find an invisible limiter dude, its invisible!! smh..
:lol:

muthafunka

Post by muthafunka » Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:57 am

*can you list the AWOL plugs so people with the same can check?

*are you talking about vst or au or both?

*what does your plug-in sources setup look like in Live prefs>file/folder? Do you have any custom folders enabled?

*bear in mind some plug-in files use a company name, some don't. Also AUs group together by dev in the Live plug-in browser even when they don't in the library folder, this can make them hard to spot if you have 100s

*to see home folder in El Cap: Hold down the Option key and select Library from the Go menu in Finder. To make it permanently visible, Show View Options for your Home folder. Check the box to show the Library.

spanktron

Post by spanktron » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:35 am

muthafunka wrote:*can you list the AWOL plugs so people with the same can check?

*are you talking about vst or au or both?

*what does your plug-in sources setup look like in Live prefs>file/folder? Do you have any custom folders enabled?

*bear in mind some plug-in files use a company name, some don't. Also AUs group together by dev in the Live plug-in browser even when they don't in the library folder, this can make them hard to spot if you have 100s

*to see home folder in El Cap: Hold down the Option key and select Library from the Go menu in Finder. To make it permanently visible, Show View Options for your Home folder. Check the box to show the Library.
Hi there Muthafunka!

In my desperation i wrote to dozens of developers and combined the info in my brain. What solved the issue was...... (it will sound stupid for those with a bit of computer skilzzz)
i just had to make my Main HD visible (in Finder settings "Devices-show hd"). For some reason after updating to El Capitan a while back my OS HD was hidden and only my Username visible on the side bar of Finder. So when i made this visible the "Real" library popped up and i found ALL plugins.... :-) I feel stupid and happy at the same time. Now i spend all my afternoon making subfolders-groups with all the 3rd party Vsts i use and now when i am in the flow i don`t have to remember all plugins by name and swearing and getting pissed when i forget... :-)

Thanks for the info Nonetheless. Much appreciated!

Peace

muthafunka

Post by muthafunka » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:53 am

Haha cool, was always going to be something 101-ish