Equivalent to Roland A-49 but with independent MIDI DIN Out?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
chapelier fou

Equivalent to Roland A-49 but with independent MIDI DIN Out?

Post by chapelier fou » Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:42 am

I need a slim 49 key keyboard, no knobs required, just the ability to play. Dimension (depth) matter a lot. The Roland A-49 would have been perfect except that it outputs MIDI Out of the DIN port regardless of the DAW settings.
I contacted Alesis about the Q49 and it seems that it has the same problem.

Any idea would be amazingly welcome.
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1

2pauluzz2

Re: Equivalent to Roland A-49 but with independent MIDI DIN Out?

Post by 2pauluzz2 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:25 pm

I'm in the same boat now that I'm moving house soon. I was hoping there would be abundant "super slim keys-only semi-weighted midi keyboards" but that's not the case.

One thought if a realistic feel of the keys is not high on your priority list is the CME xkey 37 (although not 49 keys). I've tested it and the reason that I eventually returned it is that it would have to replace my Waldorf Blofeld, which is too bulky in terms of dimensions but its Fatar keybed is great. I worried that I would miss Blofeld's keys just a bit too much for those moments when I like to just play.

Depending on your intended application you could give it a try. Other than that I'm sorry to say that after some extensive searching the Roland A-49 seemed to be the best option.

Regarding the Roland outputting Midi out of the Din port regardless of DAW settings: what does that mean? Does it mean that if I connect it to Ableton via USB, that it will send midi notes regardless of Ableton's midi settings? Or does it imply that this is limited to the midi out?

Edit: whooops didn't realize your message is so old. Did you ever find a suitable midi keyboard?

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:58 pm

2pauluzz2 wrote:
Regarding the Roland outputting Midi out of the Din port regardless of DAW settings: what does that mean? Does it mean that if I connect it to Ableton via USB, that it will send midi notes regardless of Ableton's midi settings? Or does it imply that this is limited to the midi out?
It means that you cannot set it up so the MIDI DIN OUT outputs MIDI only when Ableton Live sends MIDI to it. When you play the keyboard by hand, it will always output MIDI DIN on the currently selected channel on the A-49.
I didn't find a best option. Found a way to organize my MIDI channels so CH.1 has no effect on my hardware gear.
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1

2pauluzz2

Post by 2pauluzz2 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:04 pm

Thanks. That means I'm not going to have any issues there.