5 beta tests

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Poster

Post by Poster » Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:32 am

Angstrom wrote:"dangerous regarding the competition?"
It's the BIG ideas that get stolen - and they could just as soon get them from here ;)
Ssssshhhhhhhh.. not so loud!!

:wink:

Poster

Post by Poster » Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:53 am

peeddrroo wrote:yes, the abes handle all this sooo smoothly, still listening to us, it feels great.

i was thinking about this public beta-testing: are there other companies that do it this way, on a public forum? i've never heard of any.
and i think it can be dangerous regarding the competition. it gives an insight on how ableton works and i'm sure it can mean a lot about the software too for ppl who are aware.

what do you think?
The Abe's are doing a great (marketing) job with this public beta testing..
example: For the beta testing with Reason 3.0 there was this NDA rule that you couldn't talk about ANYTHING, let me repeat, ANYTHING, with nobody..

So compare that to how Live 5 is allready a big hype, everybody is enthousiastic, flowing on this new vibe.. "IT"S COMING, and it's great.. "
If ppl in general are enthousiastic they want to TALK about it, shareing ones feelings, makeing it one big collective thing, and that's great..
We, the users, really feel that we are part of this new release cause we're invited by Ableton... We are listened to and not forced to keep secrets..

So, is it dangerous to the competition? yes!
If other companies start beta-acting as Ableton, those might get so popular as well.. :wink:

stuffe

Post by stuffe » Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:16 am

I'd love to use the 5 Beta also, but I realise it's purely for selfish reasons, i.e. I only bought 4 last week, and I'm still learning how to use the thing - wouldn't it be nice to just start with V5, just in case I am learning stuff that changes...

Well yes, it would, but imagine how many people would be using 5 if there was a straight download now. Judging by the traffic on these forums, I'd say they could possibly treble the usage easily, but why would they? 2/3rds of the people would treat it like me, like a preview edition, with no real compunction to actively participate in the improvement of the product, just feeling lucky to use it before the great unwashed get their chance. No big deal, you might say, but it totally skews the results of the testing. If there are 1000 testers, and 100 people find a real bug, that's 10% of people identifying an issue. Add another couple of thousand users who are just checking out the new features for their own ends, and that becomes 3.3% of testers with problems - hey, we've just reduced the buggines of the program - YAY! eerrrrr.....

It can go the other way too, if one user spots a bug, Ableton can say yep, it's a bug, and have some confidence that the limited number of active testers will see this, and not report it again the following day. If there were loads of testers this message would get missed by lots of people, who could waste Abletons time looking into problems already identified.

I was a beta tester for Sonys Playstation2 online gaming, and it was a real commitment, no "fun" whatsoever - there were thousands of people who wanted in, but you need to keep it limited in order to ensure that those who do participate are focused on the job, which is to "Test", not to "Use".

I'm thankful to the testers who do seem to be doing a good job, and I'll keep my jealousy in check. At the end of the day we've no right to see the Betas, never mind test them. Plenty of other companies would just release a new version and bugfix in public, I'm sure we've all got software that is released in this way...

mosca

Post by mosca » Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:43 am

best thread ever.

i was being polite (ish) in my first post regarding the topic starters comments. but after his second post i feel compelled to write the following.

i was one of the first 500, and live 5 is amazing, i use it all day everyday - and you don't cos you didn't get in.

the whole movie isn't about you tho is it?

anyhoo, enough of this CPU dorkery - i'm away to 'beta test' live 5 for a few hours

mo

PS apologies to anyone else who didnt get in and isn't acting like a total prima donna about it

Meffy

Re: Hello

Post by Meffy » Thu Jul 07, 2005 7:31 pm

illstrodomus wrote:get a life...
You are joking, aren't you? :-D If not, the irony in that statement is almost too much to bear.

Patience, patience...
HP Pavilion a1034n, stock - Win XP Home - P4 3.0 GHz - 1Gb RAM - Intel 900 graphics - M-Audio Firewire 410