5 beta tests

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
illstrodomus

5 beta tests

Post by illstrodomus » Wed Jul 06, 2005 3:00 pm

I understand the limited realese thing, but I am a little frusterated with the fact that I still have not been able to try one out...I check this site twice a day now to see that it has gone form beta test 6,7,8, and now 9!!!!!! I think that ableton has to find a way to make the limited realease fair.....

signed,
a paying customer!!!!!!
an unhappy paying customer!

Lo-Fi Massahkah

Post by Lo-Fi Massahkah » Wed Jul 06, 2005 3:11 pm

I don't think it says anywhere in my license that I'm automatically part of a beta testers group. The Abletons have found a way of beta testing that they find efficient - a limited (yet rather big) circle of beta testers. This circle is now up to 1000 testers, quite a group to recieve bugreports from. The point of the testing period would be to find bugs not to let gear hungry sluts (like myself) have a preview of the new mouth watering features. And in the end they come out with a product that is relatively bug free.

I say it's a good concept! But then again I'm one of the first 500 - being the forum addict that I am. :D

Cheers,
Mikael

Poster

Re: 5 beta tests

Post by Poster » Wed Jul 06, 2005 4:30 pm

illstrodomus wrote:I understand the limited realese thing, but I am a little frusterated with the fact that I still have not been able to try one out...I check this site twice a day now to see that it has gone form beta test 6,7,8, and now 9!!!!!! I think that ableton has to find a way to make the limited realease fair.....

signed,
a paying customer!!!!!!
an unhappy paying customer!
grow up dude..

but then again; what if I wasn't one of the first 500?

anti-banausic

Post by anti-banausic » Wed Jul 06, 2005 4:35 pm

I wasn't one of the beta testers last year, but did get in early this year.

I understand the desire to be in the testing...but I also agree that the Abletons have a fair way of doing this.

I didn't get the beta test email until well after it would have been useful, but thanks to diligently watching the forum I was able to get in on the first round....

I was surprised though, as it had been out for over an hour when I finally got it, and I really would have thought it would have been full already.

But to the original poster. Just have patience. We are all trying very hard to put this thing through its paces, so that the final release can be really tight.

Trust me, it can also be aggravating as well.
Last edited by anti-banausic on Wed Jul 06, 2005 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Macbook c2d 2.0, 2G RAM, 160G HD 5400 RPM, OSX(10.5.5), XP Home, LIVE6, BCR 2000, UC33e, Yamaha P-200, Logic Studio, KRK V6 II

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Wed Jul 06, 2005 5:34 pm

I'm not on the beta list because I tried to avoid being on it!

I'm so busy at the moment I knew I wouldn't be able to dedicate any time to bug checking - my work involves a lot of that. I dont think it's really fair to go on the beta program without the specific idea of looking for bugs.

If you want a copy for using the new features, that's dangerous - I know that I would end up using the beta on a favourite project and get myself in trouble if it had a problem.

It won't be long now before the real version is out, so hold your horses!
I think I will be ordering 5 about 10 nanoseconds after it comes out!

Lo-Fi Massahkah

Post by Lo-Fi Massahkah » Wed Jul 06, 2005 5:38 pm

Angstrom wrote:I think I will be ordering 5 about 10 nanoseconds after it comes out!
That's a given! :D :wink: :D

anti-banausic

Post by anti-banausic » Wed Jul 06, 2005 5:43 pm

I am going to beat you to it!!!!

:lol: :lol:
Macbook c2d 2.0, 2G RAM, 160G HD 5400 RPM, OSX(10.5.5), XP Home, LIVE6, BCR 2000, UC33e, Yamaha P-200, Logic Studio, KRK V6 II

mosca

Post by mosca » Wed Jul 06, 2005 6:17 pm

i bought ableton, i check twice a day, i want to beta test, im an unhappy customer

ableton did make the limited release fair - first come, first served, and it worked thats why were on beta 9, imagine the total mess the beta forum would be in if everybody got it.

or where you expecting a personal invite to the beta party?

boo hoo

seriously dude, get over it

mo

corygilbert

Post by corygilbert » Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:23 pm

you see this actually makes sense to me now.
I was somewhat frustrated as well, as i was included last year but not contacted during this time. But I did not report nor look for bugs during beta last year and I am sure there are at least 1000 other posters on this site who constantly respond to questions and help build community. I still am salivating for 5 but only selfishly and the above description of why the limited group stands to reason.
I applaud (begrudgingly).

anarchicluv

Post by anarchicluv » Wed Jul 06, 2005 11:59 pm

Mad props goes to the Ableton crew for the way they handled the beta testing. I am absolutely in love with the way they listen to their users!

peeddrroo

Post by peeddrroo » Thu Jul 07, 2005 12:36 am

yes, the abes handle all this sooo smoothly, still listening to us, it feels great.

i was thinking about this public beta-testing: are there other companies that do it this way, on a public forum? i've never heard of any.
and i think it can be dangerous regarding the competition. it gives an insight on how ableton works and i'm sure it can mean a lot about the software too for ppl who are aware.

what do you think?

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Thu Jul 07, 2005 12:59 am

"dangerous regarding the competition?"

nah!

I cant imagine that Steinberg reading about beat warping is now done in some mysteriously different way, or that there is "no context menu fo the tap tempo" is going to help them , or the writers of Project 5 (for example) or Traktor

It's the BIG ideas that get stolen - and they could just as soon get them from here ;)

As far as changing how the Abe's do things ... which gets the most hype from musicians Project5 or Live ?
Lots of my friends have 'heard' that Live is now apparently the way to do things ... even if they haven't actually tried it / know exactly what it is.

it seems to work for them so far. :)

thx1138

Post by thx1138 » Thu Jul 07, 2005 1:50 am

Toys well and truely out of pram :?
Macbook Pro C2D2.5 17"/4G/OSX.5.6/Live8.12/Brain/Bla bla bla bla

illstrodomus

Hello

Post by illstrodomus » Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:39 am

No way, you make me out to be a cry baby....you cpu dorks...get a life...Fair would be ableton personally granting a beta test version to all who respond to the desired e-mail notification of the first beat release...but I am sure you nerds will find something obtuse about this as well.

Free Speech Live On In The Whole Scheme Of Things.

Lo-Fi Massahkah

Post by Lo-Fi Massahkah » Thu Jul 07, 2005 7:05 am

a beta test version to all who respond
They kinda did... but limited the participants to 500+500.

Cheers,
Mikael - a definite CPU dork... and a dork in many other ways!
Last edited by Lo-Fi Massahkah on Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:40 am, edited 2 times in total.