True edit group or replace with midi.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
pechnatunk

True edit group or replace with midi.

Post by pechnatunk » Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:01 pm

Hi,
I'm hoping this is not a feature request.

Is there a way to truly group, or clone two tracks so that any editing - cuts, duplicate, copy paste etc done in one track occur in another track?
I haven't used protools for years but pretty sure you could do this.

If this isn't possible - than is it possible to do a file replace in the file manager, but with a midi file? It doesn't seems so.

Basically - If I keep the midi data for the audio in my live set - it would be great to do arrangements to the song using the audio but also have the midi data clone each edit.

Are there any tricks to achieve this?

Thanks,

Stromkraft

Re: True edit group or replace with midi.

Post by Stromkraft » Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:47 pm

pechnatunk wrote: Basically - If I keep the midi data for the audio in my live set - it would be great to do arrangements to the song using the audio but also have the midi data clone each edit.

Are there any tricks to achieve this?
No, but there are a number of methods. Good enough?

What I do is that I either record to audio PreFX or PostFX, depending on what treatments I have, or I duplicate the track and freeze and flatten, then turning off any instruments of the original track.

If I do the flatten route I typically do that one track at a time and I cut any audio treatments in the tracks strip I want to keep for the audio and once I got an audio track I paste them back in. This typically retains all automation in Arrangement at least. For Session clips you have to watch out for two things:
  • short loops with unlinked automation that don't repeat for many bars. Live will put a limit on how many bars — I think it may be 32 — you'll get rendered in this case.
  • Any effects that extends beyond the time of twice the loop length.
Then I group this MIDI and its audio track, sometimes moving processing to the group track. The fader of a group or other types of buss/aux tracks always is set to 0dB fader position unless I have a specific reason.

I did some basic research for what methods to prefer for turning tracks into audio back with Live 9.2. The results might be too aged to base decisions on, but might be worth a read. If nothing else my results cured any reason I might have had about exporting audio out, only for reimporting it back. A practice I feel is not needed since 9.2, if it ever was.
Make some music!