Post Switching Remarks

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
geargasm

Post Switching Remarks

Post by geargasm » Tue Jan 14, 2003 12:22 am

At the risk of being called a number of names, I made the "switch". I got an incredible deal on a TiBook I couldn't pass up. Some interesting things I've noticed:

1. Even though I'm using OS 10.1.5, I don't see the real big hubub on speed. I'm sure it could run faster, but I could care less. I didn't come from a really speedy machine, so I guess I'm not missing anything.

2. Multimonitor that didn't work on PC, works on my TiBook. w00t.

On a totally unrelated note, I hit a bargain bin in a store and got a CD-ROM from 1992 that is meant to be sound schemes for win3.1. It's called "Wired for sound" and it's the best sample cd I've ever heard. If anyone runs across it, it's a highly suggested buy.

Lates,

Mike
I am the bumpitron.

Re: Post Switching Remarks

Post by Guest » Tue Jan 14, 2003 12:47 am

geargasm wrote:At the risk of being called a number of names, I made the "switch". I got an incredible deal on a TiBook I couldn't pass up. Some interesting things I've noticed:

1. Even though I'm using OS 10.1.5, I don't see the real big hubub on speed. I'm sure it could run faster, but I could care less. I didn't come from a really speedy machine, so I guess I'm not missing anything.
10.2 is a lot faster that 10.1.5.....

keep in mind that OS X is in its infancy. after seeing pro tools OS X, I am feeling confident that OS X is going to start delivering.

-jory

Post by Guest » Wed Jan 15, 2003 1:15 pm

Great to hear geargasm... what are the specs of your Ti?

format

geargasm

Post by geargasm » Wed Jan 15, 2003 3:26 pm

867Mhz, 512MB RAM, 40GB HDD, Airport Card included, OS 10.2.3 (now).

It was a real steal, on clearance from the store I got it from. < $2000 American.
I am the bumpitron.

geargasm

Post by geargasm » Wed Jan 15, 2003 3:27 pm

almost forgot, 3 years of apple care included.
I am the bumpitron.

Geraldo

Post by Geraldo » Wed Jan 15, 2003 4:13 pm

Congratulations Geargasm! That is a great price. The speed thing is not too much of an issue as the stability of the Mac seems to survive with higher CPU loads than a PC (my experience only, I use a 1Ghz pIII and a 800mhz Tibook). My PC breaks up at lower loads even though the CPU% is lowerthan the Mac. Which audio interface will you be using? I use the motu 828 which works flawlessly since the 10.2.3 OS update. I am no longer an OS9 straggler.
Please join the TiBook users group even though no one uses it, its cool for checking out other TiBook user's websites. ModWheelMood is pretty cool.
Cheers.

chris_borgia

Post by chris_borgia » Wed Jan 15, 2003 6:13 pm

Geraldo wrote:...Please join the TiBook users group even though no one uses it, ..Cheers.
were is this, i remember talking about doing it, but never saw it happen..?

chris_borgia

Geraldo

Post by Geraldo » Wed Jan 15, 2003 9:54 pm

Its under usergroups right next to Memberlist.