csn I make it so one scene goes right into the next scene?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ag75

csn I make it so one scene goes right into the next scene?

Post by ag75 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:22 am

Can I set up a scene so it automatically starts the next scene after it finishes playing? I have a song that needs to go right into the next song without stopping. I probable should have just made it all one file but is there a way to just have it start automatically? Thanks.

yur2die4

Re: csn I make it so one scene goes right into the next scene?

Post by yur2die4 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:56 am

You can either set it up in Arrangement view to automatically play through

Or use ClyphX and make an additional channel that has clips which contain ClyphX commands that tell each scene to plan after so many bars.

ag75

Post by ag75 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:38 am

yur2die4 wrote:You can either set it up in Arrangement view to automatically play through

Or use ClyphX and make an additional channel that has clips which contain ClyphX commands that tell each scene to plan after so many bars.
What do you mean exactly set it up in areanment view? Can you walk me though that? I'm pretty new to the software.

Post by 102455 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:57 pm

Try reading the manual...

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:48 pm

ag75 wrote: What do you mean exactly set it up in areanment view?
Probably this: 6.5 The Arrangement Loop
Make some music!

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:03 pm

Probably doesn't even need to be a loop. If it is an arrangement that goes from scene to scene, session view's functions probably aren't necessary.

ag75

Post by ag75 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:31 am

102455 wrote:Try reading the manual...
First thing I did was read the manual. I only see auto advance. Which I thought was what I needed but I can't seem to get it to work. Seems like a pretty easy thing to do. When scene one finishes scene two begins. I guess I could make it all one track but I thought this would be an easy thing for abelton to do. It's not DJ looping stuff just backin tracks for a band. . I'm assuming you don't know by just telling me to read the Manual... th

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:19 am

You need to look for Follow Actions, these will need to be set up for every clip, you will have to organise Session so that you have no gaps in the clips so will need silenced audio clip of the right length...

Alternatively there is a solution with MaxforLive

Cheers
D

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:46 pm

Here is a good video about live performance. Basically, Session View is good for rearranging the situation on the fly. But if you're strictly reciting music to a specific form, Arrangement View gives you a lot more control in advance while letting you focus on playing instruments.

https://youtu.be/nyQ3fXfgdMA

ag75

Post by ag75 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:03 pm

yur2die4 wrote:Here is a good video about live performance. Basically, Session View is good for rearranging the situation on the fly. But if you're strictly reciting music to a specific form, Arrangement View gives you a lot more control in advance while letting you focus on playing instruments.

https://youtu.be/nyQ3fXfgdMA

Thanks for this! Most helpful!

markwphoto

Post by markwphoto » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:00 am

Take a look at this from Isotonik: https://isotonikstudios.com/product/modular-series/

arretx

Post by arretx » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:36 am

Modular Series from Isotonik solved this problem for me.

Follow actions are fine, but if you use a multi-track song fired off as a scene and you need it to start the scene below it or above it, you would have to set follow actions on every clip in the scene.

Using the Follow Scene (keep in mind, you need to be running Max for Live which I think comes with Ableton Suite) you can fire subsequent scenes without follow actions.

Drop "Follow Scene" on the MIDI track you created, then dial in the settings on it, then put a dummy clip in the scene on that track and set it to act NEXT when the clip reaches its End. Time the length of the dummy clip just right and there you go...
MacBook Air | Ableton Live 9.7.5 2017-10-02 | Advance 61 Keybaord w/VIP 3.0 | Launchpad Mini | Scarlett Focusrite 18i8 | iPad Pro / OnSong | Allen & Heath QU-32