change arrangement view shading

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
struknes

change arrangement view shading

Post by struknes » Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:39 am

How do you change the shading of the arrangement view? Right now it alternates dark grey and light grey every four bars.

I want that alteration to start and stop in different places than it does by default, if you follow me.
DAW: Ableton Live 9 Standard
CPU: Intel i7

HRI: Scarlett 6i6

chrk

Re: change arrangement view shading

Post by chrk » Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:40 am

struknes wrote:Right now it alternates dark grey and light grey every four bars.
Depending on how deep you zoom into your arrangment through tha arrangement overview or beat-time ruler the alternation dynamically changes, also infuenced by your grid options.

You're not telling what you want to achieve, but you may want to look at 6.3 Launching the Arrangement with Locators.

struknes

Post by struknes » Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:07 am

Thanks for the response chrk. What I'm trying to achieve is a symmetry between where my song begins and where the dark grey or light grey begins. I like to move the entire arrangement 1 or 2 bars to the right (so i can record on the first downbeat without clipping the recorded audio by recording on very first downbeat available in the arrangement view). Problem is that by moving the entire arrangement just 1 or 2 bars, I end up having location markers in the middle of light grey and dark grey sections, which is confusing for me.

One workaround is obviously to move my entire arrangement to the 5th bar of the Arrangement View, instead of just the 2nd or 3rd, but I'd rather not have that long of a count-in every time I play the song back.
DAW: Ableton Live 9 Standard
CPU: Intel i7

HRI: Scarlett 6i6

yurki

Post by yurki » Sat May 23, 2020 2:02 pm

I second this question. sometimes I have an odd number of bars and then the grey shades are not logical anymore.
A workaround is to make some extra long/short bars with time signature changes, but it's not optimal.

Gnarly Murphy

Post by Gnarly Murphy » Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:52 pm

Bumping this as I'm curious on this as well.

Current shading implies that you're working an 8-bar or 12-bar structure (or really anything divisible by 4.....) What if I wanted a 5 bar loop? How can the shading be adjusted to reflect this?