Undo Error Message

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
Post Reply
struknes
Posts: 172
Joined: Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:52 pm

Undo Error Message

Post by struknes » Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:29 am

I get this error message when I close practically any project in which I've used the Undo command. What am I doing to generate this error message? It isn't producing anything more than an inconvenience at this point (...I think). My work is all in tact when I return to the project the next day, for example. But it would be nice to stop getting this error message every time I close out a project.

Dialog box 1:

""C:\Users\arturo\AppData\Roaming\Ableton\Live 9.7.1\Preferences\Undo.cfg" cannot be deleted."

Dialog box 2:

"Failed to access the Undo history file. Switching to memory-based undo. Live will not be able to recover Sets after crashes anymore. Please consult http://www.ableton.com/support if this problem persists after rebooting."
DAW: Ableton Live 9 Standard
OS: Windows 10
CPU: Intel i7

HRI: Scarlett 6i6

Stromkraft
Posts: 7033
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:34 am

Re: Undo Error Message

Post by Stromkraft » Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:18 am

struknes wrote:I get this error message when I close practically any project in which I've used the Undo command. What am I doing to generate this error message? It isn't producing anything more than an inconvenience at this point (...I think). My work is all in tact when I return to the project the next day, for example. But it would be nice to stop getting this error message every time I close out a project.

Dialog box 1:

""C:\Users\arturo\AppData\Roaming\Ableton\Live 9.7.1\Preferences\Undo.cfg" cannot be deleted."

Dialog box 2:

"Failed to access the Undo history file. Switching to memory-based undo. Live will not be able to recover Sets after crashes anymore. Please consult http://www.ableton.com/support if this problem persists after rebooting."
This would seem a Windows permissions issue, i e not a Live caused error. What happens if you delete this file manually and let Live create a new file next time?
Make some music!

struknes
Posts: 172
Joined: Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:52 pm

Re: Undo Error Message

Post by struknes » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:45 am

Stromkraft wrote:
This would seem a Windows permissions issue, i e not a Live caused error. What happens if you delete this file manually and let Live create a new file next time?
Do you know how I should set the permissions then, to avoid this message?

I see the file here, but I'm not sure deleting it is the right solution. That seems pretty cumbersome. There must be a better way.
DAW: Ableton Live 9 Standard
OS: Windows 10
CPU: Intel i7

HRI: Scarlett 6i6

Stromkraft
Posts: 7033
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:34 am

Re: Undo Error Message

Post by Stromkraft » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:34 pm

struknes wrote:
Do you know how I should set the permissions then, to avoid this message?

I see the file here, but I'm not sure deleting it is the right solution. That seems pretty cumbersome. There must be a better way.
Well, I imagine you right click on the file, or even the folder, and change permission in one of the tabs in this info dialog in order so that your user or the group that is running Live in Windows have full permissions to this file, or maybe even the folder.

You have look up general strategies for handling permissions within AppData/Roaming in Windows. They should work for Live as well.
Make some music!

rlhaley2020
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:38 pm

Re: Undo Error Message

Post by rlhaley2020 » Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:39 pm

I know this is an old problem, but no real solution was submitted. This error continues in 2020. Have you tried right click on the folder and uncheck READ ONLY box?

Cubarecords2012
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:46 pm

Re: Undo Error Message

Post by Cubarecords2012 » Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:49 am

Hi, After reinstall windows 10 pro I had the same issues over and over but only wiht two plugins 1- Nexus 2 and 2- VSL Synchron player. I had contacted the Support team but they say that the problem is those plugins. I know that those plugin run perfect with Nuendo 10.3 and Reason 11 Studio that I own the problem is only with Ableton live Suite 10.

Post Reply