Undo Error Message

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
struknes

Undo Error Message

Post by struknes » Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:29 am

I get this error message when I close practically any project in which I've used the Undo command. What am I doing to generate this error message? It isn't producing anything more than an inconvenience at this point (...I think). My work is all in tact when I return to the project the next day, for example. But it would be nice to stop getting this error message every time I close out a project.

Dialog box 1:

""C:\Users\arturo\AppData\Roaming\Ableton\Live 9.7.1\Preferences\Undo.cfg" cannot be deleted."

Dialog box 2:

"Failed to access the Undo history file. Switching to memory-based undo. Live will not be able to recover Sets after crashes anymore. Please consult http://www.ableton.com/support if this problem persists after rebooting."
DAW: Ableton Live 9 Standard
CPU: Intel i7

HRI: Scarlett 6i6

Stromkraft

Re: Undo Error Message

Post by Stromkraft » Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:18 am

struknes wrote:I get this error message when I close practically any project in which I've used the Undo command. What am I doing to generate this error message? It isn't producing anything more than an inconvenience at this point (...I think). My work is all in tact when I return to the project the next day, for example. But it would be nice to stop getting this error message every time I close out a project.

Dialog box 1:

""C:\Users\arturo\AppData\Roaming\Ableton\Live 9.7.1\Preferences\Undo.cfg" cannot be deleted."

Dialog box 2:

"Failed to access the Undo history file. Switching to memory-based undo. Live will not be able to recover Sets after crashes anymore. Please consult http://www.ableton.com/support if this problem persists after rebooting."
This would seem a Windows permissions issue, i e not a Live caused error. What happens if you delete this file manually and let Live create a new file next time?
Make some music!

struknes

Post by struknes » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:45 am

Stromkraft wrote:
This would seem a Windows permissions issue, i e not a Live caused error. What happens if you delete this file manually and let Live create a new file next time?
Do you know how I should set the permissions then, to avoid this message?

I see the file here, but I'm not sure deleting it is the right solution. That seems pretty cumbersome. There must be a better way.
DAW: Ableton Live 9 Standard
CPU: Intel i7

HRI: Scarlett 6i6

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:34 pm

struknes wrote:
Do you know how I should set the permissions then, to avoid this message?

I see the file here, but I'm not sure deleting it is the right solution. That seems pretty cumbersome. There must be a better way.
Well, I imagine you right click on the file, or even the folder, and change permission in one of the tabs in this info dialog in order so that your user or the group that is running Live in Windows have full permissions to this file, or maybe even the folder.

You have look up general strategies for handling permissions within AppData/Roaming in Windows. They should work for Live as well.
Make some music!

rlhaley2020

Post by rlhaley2020 » Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:39 pm

I know this is an old problem, but no real solution was submitted. This error continues in 2020. Have you tried right click on the folder and uncheck READ ONLY box?

Cubarecords2012

Post by Cubarecords2012 » Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:49 am

Hi, After reinstall windows 10 pro I had the same issues over and over but only wiht two plugins 1- Nexus 2 and 2- VSL Synchron player. I had contacted the Support team but they say that the problem is those plugins. I know that those plugin run perfect with Nuendo 10.3 and Reason 11 Studio that I own the problem is only with Ableton live Suite 10.

pwaara

Post by pwaara » Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:10 pm

I am having the same problem. Got a new computer, installed Windows 10, Ableton 10, and all my plugins. Since doing so, I cannot use VSL. It generates the Undo error message, then I can no longer save that project. I have to delete the track with VSL and save it under a new name. So far, I am only having the problem with VSL. Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

Kryptik

Post by Kryptik » Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:31 pm

pwaara wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:10 pm
I am having the same problem. Got a new computer, installed Windows 10, Ableton 10, and all my plugins. Since doing so, I cannot use VSL. It generates the Undo error message, then I can no longer save that project. I have to delete the track with VSL and save it under a new name. So far, I am only having the problem with VSL. Any help here would be greatly appreciated.
I am still having exactly the same issue now in Ableton 11 Suite with VSL also, trying to use the piano just completely ruins the entire project. :(

Roaming\Ableton\Live11.0\Preferences\Undo.cfg" cannot be deleted." Then it switches to this when trying to close the project.

"Failed to access the Undo history file. Switching to memory-based undo. Live will not be able to recover Sets after crashes anymore.

Not sure what to do anymore but I have updated all my Steinberg plugins and e-licenser and reinstalled Live 11.

This is still a problem after the latest update which was supposed to fix this, so have no idea what to do. It's up to VSL, Ableton Live and Steinberg to sort this out as this isn't cheap software for most people by any means.

EmergentDesign

Post by EmergentDesign » Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:59 pm

This is vexing me as well...is there nothing for a fix available? I've updated permissions...but the 2 Steinberg plugins I'm using are really important to me.

ViRiX Dreamcore

Post by ViRiX Dreamcore » Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:42 am

I am having the same issue and have both the plugins mentioned. As I was using 10 Lite and was thinking of upgrading to 11, I downloaded a trial of 11, but as I can't reach tech support with my current license, I am left to figure it out on my own.

Here is a reddit thread I started while keeping track of what I've discovered with some help thus far.

I wonder how the specific plugins causing the problem discovered?

Here is the Reddit post.
https://www.reddit.com/r/ableton/commen ... ?context=3

EDIT: After looking through the logs, I found this line.

error: failed to delete file "C:\Users\xxxx\AppData\Roaming\Ableton\Live 11.0.2\Preferences\VstScanInfo64.cfg": The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process

Which process? I have no idea.

Also found this line in regards tno not being able to save the session anymore.

SReplaceFile: SReplaceFile failed with error code 32.

This is right before the line talking about Ableton not being able to close the file. For whatever reason, it is having issues writing the file.

pwaara

Post by pwaara » Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:02 pm

Hi,
I, like all of you, was having this same problem with VSL Synchron Player in an Ableton Live project. With the help of VSL support, I think I have finally got it fixed. It turns out the problem was with the eLicenser. I downloaded the most recent version, ran maintenance, and rebooted. After that, I was able to create and open existing projects that had VSL Synchron Player in them. I hope this helps all of you in the same boat I was in.

Here is the link to download the latest eLicenser.
https://www.steinberg.net/en/company/te ... enser.html

--
~Pat Waara
Ableton Live 11 Suite
Windows 64-bit Pro

Wineblue2

Post by Wineblue2 » Wed May 04, 2022 2:07 pm

Here we are in 2022 and this error just popped up on my Ableton Live 11 Lite! Ya ya I know users of this version DON'T Count as far as Ableton's Support goes so they can fix it and address the collective concern or I will simply start reviewing another DAW that doesn't have this issue and perhaps purchase that instead of Ableton.