How to Overdub drums live..

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Chuku

How to Overdub drums live..

Post by Chuku » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:13 am

Hey there everyone,
I've tried to google but couldn't find any answers (Maybe because i didn't use the appropriate term). Beginner here so please bare with me :)

Actually, i am trying to do a live recording on a session view and i'm using a launchkey 25 to record melody and drums.. But the problem is that while recording drums, there is kick, Hihat, snare and claps which will make a complete Beat. But while performing a live recording i can't record the full beat at once so i want to live record every part (hihat, kick, snare, clap) one by one and store in a single track in session view.....Example : first record a HIHAT 4/4 and store a recording.. The Hihat keeps playing at the background and now record kick in same where hihat was stored (not in new) and then snare and lastly clap so that it could make a full drums beat and stored in single.. By this, when i stop or play drums, it should be done with a single click.. Hope you got it..

I'm not sure what it's called.. there must be some terms for that. Like overdubbing??.

Please Let me know if my question does not make sense or if you don't understand what i mean..

Thanks a lot in advance.. :)

yur2die4

Re: How to Overdub drums live..

Post by yur2die4 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:45 am

In the top of the screen are two kinds of record buttons. The arrangement and session record ones. The session record button is the hollow circle.

That is used for overdubbing in session view.

Hermanus

Re: How to Overdub drums live..

Post by Hermanus » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:07 pm

in session view active the + sign for overdubbing record.
I think the session automation button has to be activated too like yur2die4 said.

Have fun making music :wink: