device in focus automatically?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
JES

device in focus automatically?

Post by JES » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:44 am

I'm working with a MIDI pedal to control looper and some other devices. What I'd like to happen is for the looper to automatically pop up on the screen when I hit the button assigned to "record" (or any other device when I hit a button assigned to a parameter for it). Is this possible, and if so, what setting do I change? It works with Push, but not with a foot controller, which I need.

TIA.

yur2die4

Re: device in focus automatically?

Post by yur2die4 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:11 am

Try assigning the same pedal to both the functions and the title bar or the Looper device.

Mapping the title bar of a device forces it to come into view when triggered.

JES

Post by JES » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:38 am

Perfect, it works. Thank you! One other question. Is there a way to manually edit MIDI mappings, rather than using MIDI learn? I think I'll need 2 different CCs for the button push so that I can ALSO select the track if I want to use another device.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:38 am

I'd add an extra empty rack or fx rack and map to that maybe. Or map to the top of the actual channel, the name of the audio track.

Also, I recommend using midi note instead of cc for the multifunction button.

JES

Post by JES » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:14 pm

Thank you.

Why MIDI notes instead of CCs? I have some dim memory of an earlier version of Live only accepting notes via Remote control but it seems that CCs now work, and they're better for my pedal.

doghouse

Post by doghouse » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:37 am

The Mackie Control protocol (supported by most MIDI contollers) uses MIDI notes for remote control messages...transport, arm/solo/mute, volume, pan, sends, etc.

That has nothing to do with mapping CCs to control individual devices.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:24 pm

yur2die4 wrote: Mapping the title bar of a device forces it to come into view when triggered.
Great tip. Thanks!
Make some music!

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:11 pm

JES, I'd say if CC is working fine for you, then disregard my comment about key.

CC controls often have many more varieties of behavior, and alive usually has to interpret what any kind of mapping is intended to do. Like, for some people, sending Just let's say, a value of 127 from cc 64, over and over again exhibits a 'trigger', while for others a trigger might require there to be a moment of 0 before it will receive 127 as a kind of trigger. And then when you have the ability to 'hold pedal' for some of the functions' or there are some pedals out here that alternate between 0 and 127 with each press or inverted, it is a lot of possibilities.

With a midi note, it is pretty common behavior usually.

The only reason I suggested note was to avoid potential surprises. But if you've been able to practice using your current settings, I would not recommend changing them and potentially breaking its functionality.