Babyface RME Pro setup for Ableton

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
djbenski

Babyface RME Pro setup for Ableton

Post by djbenski » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:18 am

I am trying to get my new Babyface RME Pro audio interface working with Ableton Live. I setup the drivers and software on Windows 10 but no audio comes from my connected speakers which work as I tested them earlier with another setup. Below is my setup

http://imgur.com/a/yz7lJ

Any ideas?

Stromkraft

Re: Babyface RME Pro setup for Ableton

Post by Stromkraft » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:31 am

djbenski wrote:I am trying to get my new Babyface RME Pro audio interface working with Ableton Live. I setup the drivers and software on Windows 10 but no audio comes from my connected speakers which work as I tested them earlier with another setup. Below is my setup

http://imgur.com/a/yz7lJ

Any ideas?
Open Totalmix. Select your output fader and see if your source channels are sending a signal to it.

From your setup I also miss the output config settings in Live under Channel configurator.
Make some music!

djbenski

Post by djbenski » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:03 am

Many thanks, I think the root cause is that I did not have XLR cables from the Babyface RME Pro to the monitor speakers and someone told me on another forum that it is mandatory to use XLR cables from the Babyface to the monitors. I was using 1/4 inch instrument cables.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:46 am

djbenski wrote:Many thanks, I think the root cause is that I did not have XLR cables from the Babyface RME Pro to the monitor speakers and someone told me on another forum that it is mandatory to use XLR cables from the Babyface to the monitors. I was using 1/4 inch instrument cables.
Well, yes it's mandatory to use the outputs if you want to hear anything. If I understand correctly that's the head phone outputs and the XLR outputs ( I've got the original and have 2 types of break out cables so can use RCA outputs if needed). With the right cables and the right feed in Totalmix both your outputs should be able to get to work. XLR cables gives great sound with little interferences, so I'd go for that if possible.
Make some music!

djbenski

Post by djbenski » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:37 pm

Yeah I heard back from RME support and they did indeed confirm the requirement for XLR cables. So looks like time to order some!

login

Post by login » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:03 pm

You also have to figure out totalmix routing matrix and learn to assign outputs correctly, it is a little bit of a learning curve. Sometimes the DAW and the computer audio can come form different software audio channels and not be directed to the same hardware output.