How to raise volume on a portion of the track

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
slow.robot

Re: How to raise volume on a portion of the track

Post by slow.robot » Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:52 pm

severika wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:32 pm
I was never able to understand the RTFM replies, I see them useless , arogant and dumb.
We all know there's a manual but we're here to help each other save time , not read 95% useless info to get what we want.
Otherwise, what's the use of this forum, I'd say ?

I had a similar problem coming from Audacity, so :
1. Select the audio you want.
2. Press "CTRL-E", this will isolate the selection from the rest of the clip.
3. In the lower part of the screen, there should be a "Gain" area, mouse-wheel there.
4. Now you need to merge the clips back , so select them and press CTRL-J (shortcut for "Consolidate" operation)

Always be nice !
there's a point where 'RTFM' is an appropriate response--when you're talking about fundamental features of a piece of software (like using automation), 'RTFM' is really kinda warranted. if they're asking for advice on something, for example, when to use automation vs. clip gain, well, of course the manual isn't a good answer for that. or if it's something obscure, that an average person wouldn't think would be in the manual, and needs to be pointed in the right direction, it makes sense to ask.

saying 'RTFM' isn't useless advice either, and certainly not arrogant--if we want to learn about an insanely complicated piece of software, we should damn well get familiar with the manual. I've been told to do it many times, and as a result, I try to do my homework before asking for help. 95% of the time I can find an answer on my own. teach a man to fish, and all that.

I know the original post is several years old now, but choosing whether to do this with clip gain, as some have suggested, instead of automation (as others have) can have pretty big implications for the end result. if you raise gain in the clip, you're also going to be pushing any level-dependent plugins hotter along the way. for example, if you're looking for the part to be louder, but use clip gain, and you've got a compressor somewhere in there, doing heavy work, you may have to push the clip gain up much farther than you'd expect, and are more likely to encounter obvious overcompression. for just transparent volume increases, automation (at the last stage in the plugin chain, or at the track fader) is the better option. of course, both are perfectly valid, and either one may be better suited than the other for particular scenarios.

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:16 pm

I was never able to understand the RTFM replies, I see them useless , arogant and dumb.
We all know there's a manual but we're here to help each other save time , not read 95% useless info to get what we want.
Otherwise, what's the use of this forum, I'd say ?
Tho it is a 4yo thread and the question is answered already 4 years ago, and again 2 years ago, google seems to put these in front of users so this is basically the fitting response:
slow.robot wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:52 pm
there's a point where 'RTFM' is an appropriate response!

saying 'RTFM' isn't useless advice either, and certainly not arrogant--if we want to learn about an insanely complicated piece of software, we should damn well get familiar with the manual. I've been told to do it many times, and as a result, I try to do my homework before asking for help. 95% of the time I can find an answer on my own. teach a man to fish, and all that.
I have worked in support for almost 25 years now and I can tell you plain and simple, people are lazy and just want the direct answer where sometimes not knowing where you are going is the best way to find a place you have never been.

If you are on the receiving end of the RTFM comment, from a decently experienced user, chances are you should RTFM or at least do some of your own homework first, stating what you have tried or specifically where you have looked for an answer etc. What you call "95% of useless info" I would say "95% of additional useful information one should probably also know".

The whole point of telling someone to RTFM is actually a nice and accepted way or reminding them they really should be doing their homework and studying the documentation to learn how things work. The actual process of digging through the manual for an answer, even if it takes an hour, is how people learn to discover answers rather than beg for them, and how they might just learn about other aspects on their journey too. I have read the Live manual several times over and it is worth it IMO if you are remotely interested in the software as it answers MANY questions I see from new users.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:09 am

I will say that at least here on the forums with Live’s online manual, it’s possible to quickly link someone to the relevant section of the manual then though. I hate lazy or impatient people who refuse to do their part to learn a complex app like anyone else. But there are people out there new to music making who just don’t have the terminology yet to know what to search for in that rather large manual.

(I’ve read the manual many times myself, Dennis Desantis and his crew have done an amazing job of at least trying to keep it on point and engaging)
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

Rstarnik

Post by Rstarnik » Sun May 16, 2021 4:41 am

Yes everyone is incredibly arrogant.
All you have to do is select the menu tab "View" and go down to "Automation View"
Once that is selected you will see a new set of drop downs under your track name (see first picture) they say "mixer" and "track volume"
A red line has now appeared over your track unto which you can click points and drag up or down- and that will change the volume. :)

The Rabbits

Post by The Rabbits » Sun May 16, 2021 11:40 am

I have worked in support for almost 25 years now and I can tell you plain and simple, people are lazy and just want the direct answer where sometimes not knowing where you are going is the best way to find a place you have never been.

If you are on the receiving end of the RTFM comment, from a decently experienced user, chances are you should RTFM or at least do some of your own homework first, stating what you have tried or specifically where you have looked for an answer etc. What you call "95% of useless info" I would say "95% of additional useful information one should probably also know".

The whole point of telling someone to RTFM is actually a nice and accepted way or reminding them they really should be doing their homework and studying the documentation to learn how things work. The actual process of digging through the manual for an answer, even if it takes an hour, is how people learn to discover answers rather than beg for them, and how they might just learn about other aspects on their journey too.
Exactly. If they are too lazy to do any research themselves why should anyone else spend their time helping. We aren't running an elementary school!

If you are struggling to learn, try to get some one on one training or work through a few good youtube videos. Follow along on your system and repeat until you can match their results.

Alternatively, even a few hours one on one with a trainer or a friendly mentor can help more than a dozen back and forth questions on Facebook. There are more than a few people out there who will be happy to assist. Often for free.

Personally, reading the manual cover to cover a couple of times over the first few weeks using a new application is the most effective way to learn it. I don't remember every detail, but as I start using the application I recognise things I've read and I can refer back to the manual or a youtube video for the details.

At least ableton has a comprehensive manual. Trying to work through help menus and get an overview is way harder.

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Sun May 16, 2021 4:20 pm

Rstarnik wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 4:41 am
Yes everyone is incredibly arrogant.
All you have to do is select the menu tab "View" and go down to "Automation View"
Once that is selected you will see a new set of drop downs under your track name (see first picture) they say "mixer" and "track volume"
A red line has now appeared over your track unto which you can click points and drag up or down- and that will change the volume. :)
I hope you don't do it this way everytime, that's quite convoluted! Just press the A key and you're good ;-)
Ableton Forum Moderator

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Mon May 17, 2021 2:42 pm

magicjeff wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:30 am
How do I increase the volume on just a specific part of a track? Like for example during an instrumental. Thanks, Jeff
Automation/Clip envelopes are your best friend.

I would take time to study that. Ableton has a pretty user friendly automation system for the most part. It will help your production. Trust me.

You could also cut the section and use the clip volume, located in loop view when you just need a static value.