How to raise volume on a portion of the track

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
magicjeff

How to raise volume on a portion of the track

Post by magicjeff » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:30 am

How do I increase the volume on just a specific part of a track? Like for example during an instrumental. Thanks, Jeff

login

Re: How to raise volume on a portion of the track

Post by login » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:01 am

You use automation, you can either automate the volume faders or the gain control of the Utility device.

magicjeff

Post by magicjeff » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:39 am

I dont know what you mean when you say automation. can you tell me step by step what to do? Thanks

TheWholeDamnZoo

Post by TheWholeDamnZoo » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:59 am

magicjeff wrote:I dont know what you mean when you say automation. can you tell me step by step what to do? Thanks
Automation is when a parameter (in your case, volume) is programmed to move automatically during playback at a defined section. The best way for you to learn how to do it is to read it in the manual--if you have the current version of live it will be in Chapter 19 (p.281). It won't take you long and it's something anyone that uses a DAW needs to know.

On a related note, it would really benefit you to read the entire manual. Whatever time you spend doing this you will make back much much more by avoiding wasting time on figuring out how to perform basic functions.

Martin Gifford

Post by Martin Gifford » Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:26 am

magicjeff wrote:I dont know what you mean when you say automation. can you tell me step by step what to do? Thanks
What I do:

Place a Utility on the track.
Unfold the track.
Select the section you want to automate.
Click the gain control on the Utility, which will instantly give you the right envelope in the track.
Move the envelope up with the mouse pointer (make sure it's not in Draw mode).

BtW, Ableton has the easiest automation!

BTW, YouTube videos are great for basic questions. Just type "Ableton automation" and someone will show you how to do it.

KaCeTheProducer

Post by KaCeTheProducer » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:36 pm

If it's a WAV, you can highlight the region you want louder and turn it up on the clip controls at the bottom. If it's MIDI you're going to want to use automation.

torocks

Post by torocks » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:11 pm

it astounds me when people try and make music without reading up on what the f88k they are actually doing. RTFM

tayler1206

Post by tayler1206 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:31 pm

I think the issue might be that you may not realize that the automation is on the right hand corner of your arrangement view. You can change your automation parameters by using the two white drop down menus to change which parameter you are going to "write" the automation for. Once you've chosen your parameter, you'll see a line pop up on your track, this is your automation, this line can be drawn to fade in volume and fade out volume as it can also be written in to lower your utility gain but only if you have a utility effect in your effect rack or else it won't show up in your automation parameter drop down menus.

Once you write in this automation with your pointer tool or your writing tool (Comm B) then the track will follow it. Just a small reminder that at the top of your Ableton window the arrow pointing to the left must be deactivated for the automation to read, if it's activated click it off and your automation will read again.

Hope that helps, I've learned that it's also important to explain more basic stuff for beginners cause the arrangement view can get confusing and this forum can seem intimidating.

chris vine

Post by chris vine » Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:51 am

Automation lanes can be tiresome. Depending on the track, here's a quick workaround I use often:

use CNTRL E to split the part of a track/clip (arrange view) you want to change the volume - click on that section and then raise or lower the clip volume slider, which will only alter the volume for that section of the track/clip - not the whole thing. You can see the waveform in the trackview increase or decrease in size.

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:56 am

tayler1206 wrote:I think the issue might be that you may not realize that the automation is on the right hand corner of your arrangement view. You can change your automation parameters by using the two white drop down menus to change which parameter you are going to "write" the automation for. Once you've chosen your parameter, you'll see a line pop up on your track, this is your automation, this line can be drawn to fade in volume and fade out volume as it can also be written in to lower your utility gain but only if you have a utility effect in your effect rack or else it won't show up in your automation parameter drop down menus.

Once you write in this automation with your pointer tool or your writing tool (Comm B) then the track will follow it. Just a small reminder that at the top of your Ableton window the arrow pointing to the left must be deactivated for the automation to read, if it's activated click it off and your automation will read again.

Hope that helps, I've learned that it's also important to explain more basic stuff for beginners cause the arrangement view can get confusing and this forum can seem intimidating.
Another handy tip (apart from reading the manual a few dozen times)

As mentioned here, in arrangement on the right hand control section of each track you will see the automation lane selection boxes:

You can manually select the control you need to automate in that track then use the (+) to add an automation lane under your track so it is always on-screen.

A handy tip is if you are unsure of the name of the control (or lazy) you can simply click the control with your mouse and it will magically pop up in those selection boxes for you. This is super useful if you have a dual monitor view and can save a lot of time when automating.

Lastly of course, if you have a MIDI controller you simply map a controller to it and can now record your movements.

BobF

Post by BobF » Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:28 pm

So unnecessary to see the flaming. If you have nothing useful to say then keep that trap shut, they may be a far better songwriter than you will ever be.

jonljacobi

Post by jonljacobi » Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:58 pm

Note that for a MIDI clip, if you show the envelopes in detail view you can select Mixer from the topmost drop-down menu, then select Volume from the one below it, and quickly enter the automation for the clip by simply dragging the blue line you see up or down with the mouse.

You can do the same thing with the instrument volume though that may not work if you switch instruments. As far as I've seen, the clip mixer automation is separate from the track mixer automation so either way will work. Good for panning entire clips as well. And of course, finer automation.

Edit: Obviously, this would require splitting the portion of the track you want to control into a clip. Re-reading the subject, that question has already been answered.

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:44 pm

BobF wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:28 pm
So unnecessary to see the flaming. If you have nothing useful to say then keep that trap shut, they may be a far better songwriter than you will ever be.
Your advice isn't all that useful either tho and is 2 years late to the discussion. Didn't see anything other than the usual RTFM comment which is almost always justified.

jonljacobi

Post by jonljacobi » Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:43 am

Geez. I didn’t even notice the date. LOL.

severika

Post by severika » Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:32 pm

I was never able to understand the RTFM replies, I see them useless , arogant and dumb.
We all know there's a manual but we're here to help each other save time , not read 95% useless info to get what we want.
Otherwise, what's the use of this forum, I'd say ?

I had a similar problem coming from Audacity, so :
1. Select the audio you want.
2. Press "CTRL-E", this will isolate the selection from the rest of the clip.
3. In the lower part of the screen, there should be a "Gain" area, mouse-wheel there.
4. Now you need to merge the clips back , so select them and press CTRL-J (shortcut for "Consolidate" operation)

Always be nice !