Toggling crossfaded looped samples via scene triggering

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Ashmil

Toggling crossfaded looped samples via scene triggering

Post by Ashmil » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:12 pm

Hi folks

I've searched and experimented but not quite found the answer to this one...

I want to set up Scenes in Live for use in a live theatre production which requires ambiences and continuous background sounds to start, continue and stop ad hoc in accordance with the action on stage.

So I'd like one Scene to trigger a non musical sample to play and loop continuously, smoothly crossfaded at the loop points, e.g. sea ambience (I can set this up in Sampler/Simpler no problem).

Then triggering the next Scene would stop the sample (but subject to whatever gradual Release curve I'd chosen)

How can I do this? Can a clip send just note-off info? that would do the trick...

Or, NI Battery has a facility whereby a sample cell and be set to Note Latch, and a received note simply toggles the sample on/off (subject to Envelope behaviour). Couldn't find any options like this though in Simpler/Sampler

Constructive suggestions appreciated!

A

arretx

Re: Toggling crossfaded looped samples via scene triggering

Post by arretx » Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:46 pm

Outline the desired result. What's the ultimate goal?

Are you creating a scene that corresponds to an act/scene in a play, etc., that needs some sort of background sound to smooth the transition between each scene?
MacBook Air | Ableton Live 9.7.5 2017-10-02 | Advance 61 Keybaord w/VIP 3.0 | Launchpad Mini | Scarlett Focusrite 18i8 | iPad Pro / OnSong | Allen & Heath QU-32

Ashmil

Re: Toggling crossfaded looped samples via scene triggering

Post by Ashmil » Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:57 pm

arretx wrote:Outline the desired result. What's the ultimate goal?

Are you creating a scene that corresponds to an act/scene in a play, etc., that needs some sort of background sound to smooth the transition between each scene?
Not as such, just want some background sounds to roll on continuously at the touch of a button, preferably me triggering a scene.

Then, triggering the following scene signals that sound to stop gradually, according to release curve.

That way I can move through the different sound FX of the performance by just triggering scenes in order, when the time is right on stage...

Basically I just don't want to keep my finger on a button to keep the sound of the sea going! And when I tell the sound to stop, it should fade out.