combining two clips in Live?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
wellsoliver

combining two clips in Live?

Post by wellsoliver » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:42 am

Sorry guys this feels very 101 but I cannot figure it out, nor can I find it using the google dot com-- I have two clips on a track, both midi clips, and I want to combine them into one, essentially appending clip 3 at the end of clip 2. How can this be done? Essentially I click on a clip, command click on another clip, Live indeed says "2 MIDI clips in Tracks are selected", I right-click with hope and optimizing, and alas, no option such as Combine or Consolidate, etc...

Theo Void

Re: combining two clips in Live?

Post by Theo Void » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:34 am

If you place them sidebar side in arrangement view, highlight them and right click, then you will have the option to consolidate.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:46 am

Theo Void wrote:If you place them sidebar side in arrangement view, highlight them and right click, then you will have the option to consolidate.
Some other different alternatives for merging MIDI tracks, rather than consolidating:
  • Copy the notes in the editor and paste them in. You need to take care of the position you are at in the clip you're pasting into as the first note will be placed there. If you find it hard to get it exactly to where it was in the original, you can, prior to copying, place a note at 1.1.1 and press the "0" key to mute it, then paste in your copy at 1.1.1 in the new clip.
    You may need to adjust the length of the track afterwards.
  • If on the same track, create an empty MIDI track and place one of the clips there, add this track as a recording source in the MIDI I/O of the original track and make an overdub recording while using monitor set to "off".
  • If you need to re-record many MIDI tracks into one clip, with individual drums for example, you can instead set the "MIDI to" of said tracks in External Instrument to a recording track and do the same recording, again while using monitor set to "off". Watch out for where the MIDI goes so you don't create endless MIDI loops!
Last edited by Stromkraft on Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Make some music!

Martin Gifford

Post by Martin Gifford » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:04 am

wellsoliver wrote:Sorry guys this feels very 101 but I cannot figure it out, nor can I find it using the google dot com-- I have two clips on a track, both midi clips, and I want to combine them into one, essentially appending clip 3 at the end of clip 2. How can this be done? Essentially I click on a clip, command click on another clip, Live indeed says "2 MIDI clips in Tracks are selected", I right-click with hope and optimizing, and alas, no option such as Combine or Consolidate, etc...
In Windows, you click on one clip, then shift+click on the other clip on the same track, then right click on one of the clips and select consolidate. Also, it's in the Edit menu. This is in Arrangement view. Can't be done in Session view.

wellsoliver

Post by wellsoliver » Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:04 pm

Martin Gifford wrote:In Windows, you click on one clip, then shift+click on the other clip on the same track, then right click on one of the clips and select consolidate. Also, it's in the Edit menu. This is in Arrangement view. Can't be done in Session view.
Yeah! That's exactly what I am doing, but on a Mac, and there's no Consolidate option in the context menu.

UPDATE oh nevermind, I forgot your bit about the Arrangement view only. This is the Session view...

arretx

Post by arretx » Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:33 pm

Yup, if the clips are stacked on top of each other in the same track, select both clips, click on one of the clips and HOLD. Press Tab to switch to Arrangement View while you're holding, then drop the result into the same track. Now you can arrange, consolidate, etc...

...then, click the consolidated clip and HOLD, press TAB, and drop the consolidated clip back in to session view.
MacBook Air | Ableton Live 9.7.5 2017-10-02 | Advance 61 Keybaord w/VIP 3.0 | Launchpad Mini | Scarlett Focusrite 18i8 | iPad Pro / OnSong | Allen & Heath QU-32

tacoe

Post by tacoe » Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:15 pm

Comment above this one is spot on, however there's a little snake under the grass: session clips created from arrangement view do not loop by default. Doubleclick the new clip in session view, activate the notes panel (middle button left bottom), then activate the 'loop' toggle. Hopefully this saves you a bit of frustration :)