Recording and streaming live video loops

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
danny klim

Recording and streaming live video loops

Post by danny klim » Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:21 pm

I want to use the looper in ableton live to record and broadcast live stream in-sync audio and video of multiple layers/loops of different instruments. Could you please help me understand how to do this or if this is possible now?

What i can do now:

I can loop audio easily using Ableton. For example, I can use the ableton looper to lay down a drum beat loop, then play guitar over the drums and loop a riff, then loop some vocals on top of that.

I can, in post production, also take videos of all of these instruments and edit the video to loop in sync with the audio in in a tool like final cut pro x.

I can use an app like OBS or WireCast to live stream the looped audio from Ableton and live stream the live video capture from a webcam, but does not loop the video.

What i want to do now is loop both the synced audio and video in a real time live stream.

Here’s the use case:

I will have a webcam that is aimed at the drum as i’m laying down the drum beat. The webcam will of course record/stream whatever beat I’m playing. When i hit the button to record loop in ableton, I want the video to also loop when the audio loops. So that if i play a 5 second drum riff that repeats on loop, a looped video that the webcam captured of the drums being played during that 5 second drum riff will also play and loop at the same time as the audio.

So I can play a drum riff, loop it in ableton, make the video of the loop repeat/play in OBS or Wirecast, THEN add on a guitar loop with another webcam. So in the live stream, you will be able to see both the looped drum riff and the looped guitar riff repeating (in addition to vocal or whatever other loops playing).

Does that make sense? Is that possible to do now? I’ve been learning to use OBS, Wirecast, and Ableton recently and it seems like i could do it- but I’m not sure how. I’m thinking maybe Max for Ableton Live could be used to make this function work?

Thanks, Dan

danny klim

Re: Recording and streaming live video loops

Post by danny klim » Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:15 pm

Still wondering about this, does anyone know if this kind of thing is possible?

Also, I'm realizing now that my use case was kind of complex and its probably easier to do it simpler first. So rather than having multiple layers of video loops, is it possible to do one simple video capture loop? Just like i would use the looper in live to loop an audio source, is there any way that i can use the looper or some other software that can sync up with the looper to loop video along with the audio?

Btw: I'm using Resolume now, which might make it easier than OBS or Wirecast as it has Ableton Link, smpte and midi control functions.

Thanks, Dan