WHy does sampler initiate filter and lfO?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
tintala

WHy does sampler initiate filter and lfO?

Post by tintala » Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:45 am

I just spent 30 minutes trying to figure out why my samples were sounding like shit in the sampler , come to find out, sampler initiates the FILTER AND LFO by default, just had to spend lots of time de selecting those options, now my samples sound like samples. I know how to make a default sampler but how do you turn off lfo and filter by default? suck to tick 50 samples off.

arretx

Re: WHy does sampler initiate filter and lfO?

Post by arretx » Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:10 am

Help us recreate the issue.

I dropped 3 samples into Sampler and the Filter/Global tab shows Filter on, but only globally... not on each sample. All modulation is off by default.

Is it possible to save the sampler state just by making your settings, then saving the preset?
MacBook Air | Ableton Live 9.7.5 2017-10-02 | Advance 61 Keybaord w/VIP 3.0 | Launchpad Mini | Scarlett Focusrite 18i8 | iPad Pro / OnSong | Allen & Heath QU-32

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:30 am

tintala wrote:I just spent 30 minutes trying to figure out why my samples were sounding like shit in the sampler , come to find out, sampler initiates the FILTER AND LFO by default, just had to spend lots of time de selecting those options, now my samples sound like samples. I know how to make a default sampler but how do you turn off lfo and filter by default? suck to tick 50 samples off.
What do you have in your "User Library/Defaults/Dropping Samples/On Device View[/i]"?
Make some music!

tintala

Post by tintala » Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:35 pm

Stromkraft wrote:
tintala wrote:I just spent 30 minutes trying to figure out why my samples were sounding like shit in the sampler , come to find out, sampler initiates the FILTER AND LFO by default, just had to spend lots of time de selecting those options, now my samples sound like samples. I know how to make a default sampler but how do you turn off lfo and filter by default? suck to tick 50 samples off.
What do you have in your "User Library/Defaults/Dropping Samples/On Device View[/i]"?

good question and thanks for pointing that out, I will check to see , I have actaully always had this "issue " with sampler, for years, just never thought to articulate it in the forum.
thanks guys
Arretx all of my samples are "globally" affected by initiating sampler. I pull in 10 samples to a sampler/ instrument rack, all have lfo /filter on. Does anyone want these initiated when loading their samples? I dont see why it would be of benefit since it makes all the samples sound 100% different.

borg

Post by borg » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:18 am

I know you said you know how to 'make a default sampler', but does it mean you did the following?

drop an empty Sampler on a track from the browser, does it have the lfo engaged?
if so, turn it off, (or turn down amount/send levels of the lfo).
right click on the Sampler header of the device, and choose 'save as default'

now do what you want to do and had issues with earlier. does it still have the lfo changing the filter?
as others have said, when I load Sampler, all modulation is turned off by default. seems you somehow changed and saved the default loading state of Sampler in the past and didn't realize back then, or forgot.
or I'm missing something.
andy
2015 MBP, OSX 10.12, Live 10.1 64bit, RME Fireface 800

tintala

Post by tintala » Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:18 pm

borg wrote:I know you said you know how to 'make a default sampler', but does it mean you did the following?

drop an empty Sampler on a track from the browser, does it have the lfo engaged?
if so, turn it off, (or turn down amount/send levels of the lfo).
right click on the Sampler header of the device, and choose 'save as default'

now do what you want to do and had issues with earlier. does it still have the lfo changing the filter?
as others have said, when I load Sampler, all modulation is turned off by default. seems you somehow changed and saved the default loading state of Sampler in the past and didn't realize back then, or forgot.
or I'm missing something.
Maybe your right about inadvertently changing the default, however, not sure I would save as default with filter and lfo since i have a habit of not using those parameters. anyways could be user error and probably is my fault. My main question was does anybody else's sampler load with lfo and filter ticked by default... good point on loading sampler ticking off parameter and save as default, I did do this long ago. does yours load with these paramaters on by default? just curious as to what "default" parameters are at this point? thnx