"Audio To" Question

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
lucasdefuego

"Audio To" Question

Post by lucasdefuego » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:14 am

Has anyone else noticed that when you set up a drum rack, you can't send the instruments within that drum rack to other tracks for sidechaining? You can only send the whole drum rack's audio.... For example, I'm trying route my kick, which is grouped within my drum rack, to a sidechain track to duck the bass via 3rd party plug in..... thing is there's no "Audio To" drop menu on the kick or any other dum rack instrument, just a blank empty space where nothing happens if clicked on.

Is it possible to activate the "Audio To" option of an instrument located within a drum rack, or do I have to make a separate kick track all together?

chrk

Re: "Audio To" Question

Post by chrk » Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:18 am

lucasdefuego wrote:Is it possible to activate the "Audio To" option of an instrument located within a drum rack
No, but on another track you can choose the drum track as Audio From, then in the second dropdown choose any chain from that rack either pre fx or post fx. Your third party plug in's sidechain function may see these routing points as well, or you may have to work around it by setting up an audio track as described.
lucasdefuego wrote:or do I have to make a separate kick track all together?
That would then be taken out of your rack-out processing...

Stromkraft

Re: "Audio To" Question

Post by Stromkraft » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:52 am

lucasdefuego wrote:
Is it possible to activate the "Audio To" option of an instrument located within a drum rack, or do I have to make a separate kick track all together?
No, you make use of the sends in the drum rack and send the kick via the output of an empty rack return to a one of your mixer return tracks as you commonly do for side-chaining third party plug-ins. The return track output goes to the side-chain input of your plug-in, effectively making this return a buss.

I personally prefer to operate drum racks extracted, so all my rack parts have their own proper tracks, so I can send the kick to the side-chain buss from its own track. I see very few reasons to keep drum racks in one track.
Make some music!