External Instrument ARM behaviour

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Paskuda

External Instrument ARM behaviour

Post by Paskuda » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:47 am

Hi!

So I hooked up a Minitaur to Ableton via external instrument which is controlled with my Microkorg via midi.
The strange thing is that when I turn off ARM button I still can hear the Minitaur when I play, it is annoying since I would like to use some Microkorg sounds as well and when I play the Microkorg (different inputs of course) I can hear both at the same time. Any ideas how to fix this?

Thanks in Advance!

arretx

Re: External Instrument ARM behaviour

Post by arretx » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:00 pm

So you have a single MIDI track with an External Instrument pointing to the Minotaur. The MIDI input on that track is coming from the Microkorg and is routed back to the Minotaur.

The track monitoring, when set to "IN" will monitor all inbound signals regardless of the state of the arm button. When the AUTO input is selected, you will only see inbound signals when the ARM is on. When you turn the monitoring OFF, nothing comes through.

What I would do is this.

Set up one MIDI track with MIDI input from the keyboard specifically on a given channel. Call it MICROKORG.

Setup a 2nd MIDI track. Call it Key Chain. Set the MIDI Input to MICROKORG. Drop an instrument rack into this track and then in the instrument rack, add two external instruments.

Set up two separate Instrument tracks and drag your plug-ins to those tracks. Route their audio to wherever you want it to go, but turn OFF midi input. You don't want them receiving MIDI at all.

Go back to the Key Chain track and address the External Instruments you dropped on the Instrument Rack, choosing the correct destinations.

Your instruments need to be accessible as external instruments. If they aren't, they won't be options in the External Instrument device. Isolate each External Instrument in the Instrument Rack on it's own chain, then map the chain selector to a Macro knob on the Instrument Rack.

Now you can automate switching between patches on different plug-ins without dropping your signal, muting, having to fade out, etc.
MacBook Air | Ableton Live 9.7.5 2017-10-02 | Advance 61 Keybaord w/VIP 3.0 | Launchpad Mini | Scarlett Focusrite 18i8 | iPad Pro / OnSong | Allen & Heath QU-32

Paskuda

Post by Paskuda » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:15 pm

Is there another way to do it?
Would be great if I could use my APC20 to control arm/disarm

Any help would be appreciated

arretx

Post by arretx » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:38 pm

Are you recording on that track or just needing to enable MIDI throughput?
MacBook Air | Ableton Live 9.7.5 2017-10-02 | Advance 61 Keybaord w/VIP 3.0 | Launchpad Mini | Scarlett Focusrite 18i8 | iPad Pro / OnSong | Allen & Heath QU-32

Paskuda

Post by Paskuda » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:42 am

Would be good to be able to record but it is not a must. I need to play midi sequence from it to Minitaur