cue still sends to master instead of just cue

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
arigold

cue still sends to master instead of just cue

Post by arigold » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:15 am

Hi there,

Googled my pants off and am throughly stuck. :cry:

I was hoping that if I had the master Solo/Cue button set to Cue and then I activated the track's Solo/Cue button that the audio would only go out the Cue outputs, and not go out the Main outputs. Sadly, that ain't the case.

The only way that I can get what I want is if I disable the track with the Track Activator button. I can assign the same MIDI note on my controller to both buttons but that seems ... less than elegant.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Ari

chrk

Re: cue still sends to master instead of just cue

Post by chrk » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:45 am

arigold wrote:The only way that I can get what I want is if I disable the track with the Track Activator button.
That's the way it is, see 15.6 Soloing and Cueing, number 4 below the image

arigold

Post by arigold » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:39 am

:oops:

Damn.. I'd read through the manual but it was ages ago and I've only recent found the use for this. Suppose I'ma bump my plans to read through it again :)

That said, this seems like it should at least be set-able. I mean what's the use case for wanting both signals at the same time? As the manual says
Live allows you to replace the standard soloing operation with a cueing operation that lets you preview tracks as though you were cueing a record on a DJ mixer.
...ya can't cue a record if it's playing to the audience, right?

Anyhoo, thanks a pile for the resolution.

Ari

chrk

Post by chrk » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:20 am

arigold wrote:...ya can't cue a record if it's playing to the audience, right?
How about 15.5 Using Live’s Crossfader?

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:11 am

arigold wrote: I was hoping that if I had the master Solo/Cue button set to Cue and then I activated the track's Solo/Cue button that the audio would only go out the Cue outputs, and not go out the Main outputs. Sadly, that ain't the case.
Mixers do not commonly work this way, certainly not DJ mixers, so it's unclear to me why you think this expectation — that cueing should stop the signal going out on an open fader — is reasonable.

See this discussion where you find some of my thoughts on this issue Cueing in Ableton
Make some music!

arigold

Post by arigold » Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:38 pm

Wow! The crossfader looks like it's got a buuuunch of potential :mrgreen:

I think I grok the main issue -- I'm not trying only trying to do the DJ thing, I'm also trying to do the loop-live-instruments thing.

Therefore I think I need two types of tracks: instrument tracks and playback tracks. One instrument track per instrument: audio for line-ins and MIDI for software instruments. Then I can cue the instrument tracks to prepare material which will live in the playback tracks. That way if I need to, I can route the audio from the instrument tracks to my headphones, while the audio from the playback tracks goes to the audience. I can send audio from the instrument tracks to the playback tracks both by the track's inputs and by dragging material from the looper. I think :).

I've been using a bunch of loopers but I think I can also get some cool stuff done with the "New" and "Session Record" buttons in the session view.

Man oh man is Ableton ridic 8O thanks for the tips!

Ari