"Must have" plugins for EDM music?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Christian_R

"Must have" plugins for EDM music?

Post by Christian_R » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:37 pm

Hi!

Does anyone have any recommendations for some good plugins for making EDM music? I'm not really sure what's out there (and what I might need), so I appreciate any tips I can get. I'm not too happy with the reverb in Ableton, so I definitely want a reverb plugin.

The plugins I have bought so far is Serum and Neutron, which have both been good investments for me.

Cheers!

Stromkraft

Re: "Must have" plugins for EDM music?

Post by Stromkraft » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:58 pm

Christian_R wrote:Hi!

Does anyone have any recommendations for some good plugins for making EDM music? I'm not really sure what's out there (and what I might need), so I appreciate any tips I can get. I'm not too happy with the reverb in Ableton, so I definitely want a reverb plugin.

The plugins I have bought so far is Serum and Neutron, which have both been good investments for me.
Just read reviews and try them all. Follow your taste. Ignore advice.
Make some music!

Amythofficial

Post by Amythofficial » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:46 pm

Try out Sylenth, Avenger by Vengeance Sound, Nexus 2, Massive.

Ableton's Operater is KICK ASS too.

ekwipt

Post by ekwipt » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:47 am

Checkout the Valhalla reverbs, they're great and not too expensive

marlonzuri

Post by marlonzuri » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:25 pm

I would just invest in the komplete 11 package, gives you about everything you need. By the way, if you have Serum already you really don't need any other wavetable synth.

Then fabfilter always make great stuff and iZotope also does for the most part. I'm also a fan of the Valhalla reverbs like the other guy said.

login

Post by login » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:42 pm

For EDM effects, maybe ohmicide to tget even more saturation for leads and bass.

Other tools a: A transiente shaper (the one by NI is good), a character compressor, more saturation for drums (elyssia karacter), and yeah Valhhalla Room to substitute live reverb.

Shift Gorden

Post by Shift Gorden » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:45 pm

Good one on Serum and Neutron - both great plugins!

What's your budget, mate?

Christian_R

Post by Christian_R » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:28 am

Thanks for all the replies, I will definitely look into this!

Christian_R

Post by Christian_R » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:31 am

Shift Gorden wrote:Good one on Serum and Neutron - both great plugins!

What's your budget, mate?
Yes, I'm very happy with those two. But I still have a lot to learn :)

As far as the budget goes, I'm thinking somewhere between $50–200. It depends a little on what it is, and how "sold" I get.

miyaru

Post by miyaru » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:32 am

I own massive, and I'm very happy with it!!!

I f you buy Komplete it is already there btw.

Greetz.
Greetings from Miyaru.
Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen, ESI M4U eX, Reason 12, Live Suit 10, Push2, Presonus Eris E8 and Monitor Station V2, Lexicon MPX1,
Korg N1, Yamaha RM1x :mrgreen:

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:35 pm

I was given a copy of Lethal to process into NKS for Komplete Kontrol. It's like a poor mans Nexus and for EDM sounds it's pretty good. Sounds great and there is a lot of content and really aimed at the user who likes to play sounds, not design them (it has no synthesis at all).

Christian_R

Post by Christian_R » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:04 am

miyaru wrote:I own massive, and I'm very happy with it!!!

I f you buy Komplete it is already there btw.

Greetz.
I've heard good things about Massive. I will look more into that too :)

mwlad17

Post by mwlad17 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:51 pm

jestermgee wrote:I was given a copy of Lethal to process into NKS for Komplete Kontrol. It's like a poor mans Nexus and for EDM sounds it's pretty good. Sounds great and there is a lot of content and really aimed at the user who likes to play sounds, not design them (it has no synthesis at all).
yeah I got this one on sale and have been really happy with it as well...depends on what you like to do, if you're more into the "writing" and music portion of it, a rompler like this is often a go to...I also like Sylenth (I know, me and the rest of the world) and the newest version has some pro presets which are pretty cool...and while I don't have Serum (yet) I have, Z3ta 2, oh yes that old guy! I actually like it a lot, if you use it you'll notice Zedd has used a bunch of its sounds (dunno how into him you are) which is kinda funny

You're gonna need to spend some dough on plugins, just get used to it lol...it's addicting, but I like having sort of "one type" of everything and then going from there

also Kick 2 is a great easy to use plugin to help build your own kicks

edit: one thing that was almost a game changer for me (as far as having access to content) was getting a subscription for Splice...I cannot recommend that enough

lastmessiah

Post by lastmessiah » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:37 pm

Everything you need, and more, is in Ableton Suite. Don't understand the plug-in lust that people have. Suite is more powerful and streamlined than most of its users are even aware of.

Shift Gorden

Post by Shift Gorden » Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:33 am

lastmessiah wrote:Everything you need, and more, is in Ableton Suite. Don't understand the plug-in lust that people have. Suite is more powerful and streamlined than most of its users are even aware of.
Totally respect your subjective opinion. I guess it depends what you're looking for.

I love Ableton's synths. But I love Diva, Omnisphere, Synthmaster and Serum so much more, lol. And I do suffer from plugin/hardware lust.

Oh, I'll echo Kick 2. I use it on every project. It's freaking great.