using a drum rack and playing keys simultaneously

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ryanoliver

using a drum rack and playing keys simultaneously

Post by ryanoliver » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:43 pm

Hi. I want to be able to use a drum rack in my set and triggering the different drum samples on the eight midi pads i have (which i have done) but when i press the midi pads, I have an instrument also in my set that will play on the midi pads as well as me triggering the drum rack samples.

So in other words, how do I stop the instrument from playing on the midi pads on my midi keyboard and get it to only use the keys when i play?

jestermgee

Re: using a drum rack and playing keys simultaneously

Post by jestermgee » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:30 pm

You would need to assign different MIDI channels to the keyboard and the pads (using your keyboards software) then select which channels you want in each track to trigger the instrument.

timday

Re: using a drum rack and playing keys simultaneously

Post by timday » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:35 pm

Can your keyboard separate the note signals from your drum pads from the note signals from your keyboard? As far as Ableton (or any DAW) is concerned a MIDI C1 from a drum pad is the same as a MIDI C1 from a keyboard unless you can find some way of differentiating them. e.g. Can you assign the drum pads and keys to different MIDI channels on your keyboard? If so that's the way to get them completely separate. You might find for example the drum pads are on channel 10 (which is the traditional MIDI channel for drums) or be able to set them there and keep the keys on channel 1.

Alternatively if you can't do that you could put the instrument in a rack and set the keyzone so it doesn't respond to the notes on the drum pad. Will only work if you don't ever want to play those actual notes on the keys, so if the drum pads are very low down (like, C0 or C1 etc, which they often are) it's generally OK. If they coincide with notes you want to play you could still shift the keys onto a different octave by playing the keyboard an octave high and using a MIDI pitch shift to set it right on the instrument. If that makes sense.