Best iOS app for controlling Ableton Live in 2017

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
alexjholland

Best iOS app for controlling Ableton Live in 2017

Post by alexjholland » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:54 am

Hey, I've picked up a Satechi R1 iPad stand, which is so sturdy that it's reinvigorated my interest in using my iPad as a controller.

TouchOSC was what I used years ago, which seems to have been blown away by Touchable.

However, it sounds like Touchable users feel this iOS app is on its way down, due to developer disinterest?

I've got Conductr (it's freemium) and it looks slick, but is far from intuitive.

LK by a Portuguese development team also looks like it might be alright?

I produce more than I play live; although am open to both.

I live on the road and left my APC40 at home.. I'm considering buying an MPK Mini, but as many useful tools for producing music and playing with instruments as possible on an iPad would be great. Controlling parameters, etc.

What should I buy?

beats me

Re: Best iOS app for controlling Ableton Live in 2017

Post by beats me » Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:10 pm

I wouldn't say this is the best for Live, but I just discovered it and thought I'd share. Metagrid.

http://www.metasystem.io/

It's more for quick single button access to shortcuts, which is useful on the production side. Oddly it doesn't come with a template for Live even though it has them for other DAWs, but you can make your own. It can also be used for programs outside DAWs and auto detects what program you are currently using and auto switches.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:11 pm

I prefer the launchpad as a sound generator. As a controller, it never quite feels complete. You get some huge breakthrough but then feel like it is more of a hassle making sure you're set up than the actual technique you've been given.

I'd recommend using synth and rhythm apps that generate sounds and ideas. Mix them as segues, synced with Link, between loading sets on your computer. In a lot of ways the iPad is more fun than the computer on its own.

For the computer id suggest a launchpad or launchpad mini. Or a mini APC type thing.

Soarer

Post by Soarer » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:32 am

Touchable was updated not too long ago and it was working fine the last time I used it. I'm using Push mainly so it's been a while since I tried it.
I really wish Ableton would just make their own app and it would be a perfect companion to Push.

Here's my suggestion which I have posted on centercode:

"I would love to see a proper supported iPad app which would work as an extension to Push so that everything you can't do with Push you could do on such an iPad app. It would fill in quite a gap.
Using it for XY and midi controling is obvious but also for quick sample editing and management and it would make it much easier and faster to use Live's browser. So much would be possible.
It would be the perfect companion for Max for Live!
Synth and VST instrument developers could make control surfaces for their products for this app for instant tweaking of parameters. Great for both music production and Live use.
Touchable is quite good but it doesn't work properly WITH Push. It's either Push or Touchable and it's still limited. A touchscreen on the next Push might be the answer but it should be big enough and without latency. Still this separate iPad app would be better."

Here's the link so please go give it a vote (you need to be logged into centercode:

https://ableton.centercode.com/project/ ... 3c2a734229

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:10 am

beats me wrote:I wouldn't say this is the best for Live, but I just discovered it and thought I'd share. Metagrid.

http://www.metasystem.io/

It's more for quick single button access to shortcuts, which is useful on the production side. Oddly it doesn't come with a template for Live even though it has them for other DAWs, but you can make your own. It can also be used for programs outside DAWs and auto detects what program you are currently using and auto switches.
That is an awesome find, thanks.

Muze

Post by Muze » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:25 am

I'm trying to find one now for Live 10. Does Touchable support wavetable and the new devices? Ideally I would like one that works 2 way and can provide feedback on levels and display changes I make in the Live interface too.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:49 pm

None of the new devices have been added to Touchable, they may be controllable from Touchable in a generic form but you won't be able to use their in app purchasable instrument graphical interface that looks 'like' the instruments for the newer instruments.

iPads are pretty good for clip launching and basic mixer controls. When you get into more deep, fine tuning it might be easier to just use the computer. You quickly realize that even if you manage to get a 'representation' of your computer screen on your iPad it still is clunky (either you don't have a real mouse with pointer and it ends up being easier to use a mouse on the interface or it can be delayed etc, especially if you use a virtual viewer type app). But the basic clip launching and mixer stuff works very smoothly and touch surfaces work great for that in particular.

I will say that the iap of the devices in Live graphics on Touchable IS really nice still. But one doesn't necessarily use it as much as they first imagined.

Soarer

Post by Soarer » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:24 pm

I don't agree.
iPads are great for performance. Lemur should work fine for that.