Question regarding live performance playback

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
kingraam

Question regarding live performance playback

Post by kingraam » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:11 am

Greetings friends, I have a question regarding playback for live performances. How do I manage the frequencies and overall sound of my backing tracks in order to ensure a consistent sound? I have a very slow learning curve but am finally beginning to understand the basics of ableton. I would assume a limiter/compressor could be of help in my situation but I don't know how or where to implement this.

Sometimes when I go on tour my bandmates can't come (because we're from the axis of evil and can't get visas), so I have to replace them with playback. On many a show I've had to tweak the lines because they were either too bassy or too bright or just plain distorting and most importantly they never seem leveled (even though when I listen at home everything seems fine, but once we plug in to a system chaos ensues). I am sure there is a much easier way of handling this that I am not aware of, maybe those of you who have some more experience on the road could help out.

Since every show is a surprise as to who can make it or not, I always have to have the lines ready which include: 2 electric guitars, 2 keyboards, bass, drums (both acoustic and samples), some ambient/electronic textures, and occasionally classical instruments.
Thank you in advance for your help!