can i record vocals while reverb is live

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
luck001

can i record vocals while reverb is live

Post by luck001 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:31 am

Hello!
Noob here. Just bought a mic and an audio interface and downloaded abelton lite 9. I've figured out how to add reverb to my vocal track after recording it. I was wondering if there was a way for me to record while hearing the reverb effect. Like singing in a hallway.
any help would be greatly appreciated!! thanks!

miyaru

Re: can i record vocals while reverb is live

Post by miyaru » Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:13 am

Set monitor on your audiochannel to "in" and of you go. Of course don't listen to only the monitor sound as it will be slightly delayed, also listen to your direct signal at the same time.
Greetings from Miyaru.
Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen, ESI M4U eX, Reason 12, Live Suit 10, Push2, Presonus Eris E8 and Monitor Station V2, Lexicon MPX1,
Korg N1, Yamaha RM1x :mrgreen:

luck001

Post by luck001 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:44 pm

miyaru wrote:Set monitor on your audiochannel to "in" and of you go. Of course don't listen to only the monitor sound as it will be slightly delayed, also listen to your direct signal at the same time.

Dude you're the best! Thank you so much! That's exactly what i was looking for. The only issue I'm having now Is that while recording "live," i cant hear the audio in my headphones that are connected to my scarlet solo. I can only hear the audio on my headphones once i've stopped recording and then when i play it.

braduro

Post by braduro » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:48 pm

Focusrite mix control is where you set up "direct monitoring" you want to monitor the output stage of the interface, not just the playback of the daw.

This will be a different mix than your typical mixing, listening to spotify, etc. settings.

To do one better, make a mix of your secondary outputs from your daw, say 3/4, activate these in settings, and set these as your cue/solo mix in Live.

Now you can use the solo button to include any other tracks in your tracking mix ("a mix -1" as it is sometimes called). Use focusrite mix control rather than the faders to manage the relative levels of the backing tracks to your vocal track in order to emulate a monitor mix.

If you want to top even that, you can revert the phase of the reverb track to which you are adding the vocals. Feed this from a monitored phantom track: a copy that you are NOT recording to rather than directly from your vocal tracking track. Now you have the direct signal from your interface and ONLY the reverb tail (early reflections, etc.) from the DAW without doubling up on the direct signal. Plus you have avoided listing to the accumulated latency of the recorded track. But not only that, you can monitor off or AUTO on the track that is being recorded to, thus avoiding having the vocals offset from the other tracks you have laid down.

Look up INVERT phase tricks with Utility device on this matter before writing back.

rmzse

Post by rmzse » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:52 am

miyaru wrote:Set monitor on your audiochannel to "in" and of you go. Of course don't listen to only the monitor sound as it will be slightly delayed, also listen to your direct signal at the same time.
Hi!

I am a noob too and I am trying to add an effects chain to live vocals and hear the difference while recording, so this question seems to be what I am also looking for.

When you say "listen to your direct signal at the same time", what do you mean?

When I put the track monitor to "in" I hear a doubled voice, sort of rich in reverb. Is it because I am listening to the phono port on the Scarlett? I have the Scarlet phono out connected via stereo TRS to a headphone amp double mono TRS, should I instead take the signal from the Scarlett monitor out into the amp?

Or by direct signal, do you mean something else?

Thanks a lot for your patience! :)