Krafty Kuts thinks "The Glue" plug-in beats the Glue in Live

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Stromkraft

Re: Krafty Kuts thinks "The Glue" plug-in beats the Glue in Live

Post by Stromkraft » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:54 pm

aschneider wrote:
Stromkraft wrote:Did you attempt to null at 44.1kHz?
At 48 Khz or less it just doesn’t apply.
Yeah, but if the end product is 44.1 or 48 kHz then how is it relevant what happens in the step before? Is anything but audio DVDs at above that?

I was expecting (plug-in) exports at above 44.1 or 48 kHz to be downsampled before getting compared to an (oversampled in Glue) exported at 44.1 or 48 kHz.
Make some music!

andy_cytomic

Post by andy_cytomic » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:59 am

I really like Krafty Kuts so its awesome to hear he likes using The Glue!

The Ableton guys do listen, but it takes time to get stuff done. There are plenty of updates and changes going on for the better so please be patient.

As for The Glue vs the Glue Compressor device, the do have exactly the same core DSP in both. The Ableton version has some slightly different processing around the core DSP, specifically the oversampling and the sidechain filter.

The oversampling in The Glue is slightly better quality, but also introduces slightly more latency and CPU load. I’ve also recently updated all Cytomic products to have not just linear phase oversampling, but also intermediate and minimum phase. Linear phase works best for most things so is still the recommended one to use. I added the other modes primarily for The Scream, but added them to all products anyway to keep them using the same framework.

The sidechain filter in The Glue uses a one pole high pass only, the Ableton version has a 2 pole EQ section instead. I’m working with the guys at Ableton to add support for a one pole high pass as well.

So if you don’t use oversampling, or the sidechain filters, you will get exactly the same results from both The Glue plugin and the Glue compressor device in Live. I happily use either version. If you’re using another DAW as well, or really like the more advanced oversampling features then the plugin version may be better for you.
The Glue, The Drop, The Scream - https://www.cytomic.com

andy_cytomic

Post by andy_cytomic » Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:18 am

As proof that the Ableton guys do listen to suggestions, they've implemented something I've been asking for a while now, for EQ8 to go down much lower. In Live 10 it now goes down to 10 hz.
The Glue, The Drop, The Scream - https://www.cytomic.com