Ableton Live 10

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
dclaudio

Ableton Live 10

Post by dclaudio » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:24 am

Hey guys

Is there any info on a possible date release for Ableton Live 10 / Push 3? (if so)
I'm a former Logic/new Live converted, been taking online lessons and I think it's great and I'm ready to go for the big investment and acquire Live 9+ suite and Push 2, but also I know that LOOP is coming up on November and I don't really want to spend £1000+ on something that will be upgraded in 2 months time.

Also I'm new to the forum so please forum elders, forgive me if this topic has been brought up before.

cheerios :D

jestermgee

Re: Ableton Live 10

Post by jestermgee » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:53 pm

Push 3, don't think so.
Live 10, wait another month to find out.

If you are concerned about spending money now when something else is around the corner, buy your wife some flowers instead because something else is always around the corner... normally another corner.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:50 am

dclaudio wrote:
Is there any info on a possible date release for Ableton Live 10 / Push 3? (if so)
I'm a former Logic/new Live converted, been taking online lessons and I think it's great and I'm ready to go for the big investment and acquire Live 9+ suite and Push 2, but also I know that LOOP is coming up on November and I don't really want to spend £1000+ on something that will be upgraded in 2 months time.
As far as Live goes when Live 9 was released people that bought Live 8 in the last x months prior to release got a free upgrade. That's no guarantee the same will happen when Live 10 arrives, but take it for the piece of history it is.
Make some music!

dclaudio

Post by dclaudio » Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:18 pm

jestermgee wrote: If you are concerned about spending money now when something else is around the corner, buy your wife some flowers instead because something else is always around the corner... normally another corner.
?

I don't care about anything else. There're rumours, LOOP is in November, I think my doubt is reasonable.
Thanks for the advise anyway :wink:

dclaudio

Post by dclaudio » Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:20 pm

Stromkraft wrote:
dclaudio wrote:
As far as Live goes when Live 9 was released people that bought Live 8 in the last x months prior to release got a free upgrade. That's no guarantee the same will happen when Live 10 arrives, but take it for the piece of history it is.

Yep, makes sense. Also there's nothing in the Beta forums.
I may as well wait anyway.

Cheers!

Street Spirit

Post by Street Spirit » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:02 am

Live 10,. Iam just grateful that they added new filters, and revamped simpler
wondering what 10 would bring though

Bob3210

Post by Bob3210 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:01 pm

Stromkraft wrote:
dclaudio wrote: As far as Live goes when Live 9 was released people that bought Live 8 in the last x months prior to release got a free upgrade.
Lets see ... X is usually equal to 3. Maybe I'll go ahead and order 9. Getting tired of waiting :)

chrk

Post by chrk » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:51 am

Stromkraft wrote:As far as Live goes when Live 9 was released people that bought Live 8 in the last x months prior to release got a free upgrade. That's no guarantee the same will happen when Live 10 arrives, but take it for the piece of history it is.
Live 9 wasn't released just out of the blue, and there was no free upgrades for prior purchases.

The grace period started with the official ANNOUNCEMENT and opening of the public beta, final release (and end of the grace period) was planned for some three months later, but was delayed some three or four weeks for bugfixing.

If I wanted to buy a new license or do a major upgrade of edition now, I'd definitely wait it out until Loop. The time frame, just in time for Christmas trade, is about right, too.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:11 am

chrk wrote:
Stromkraft wrote:As far as Live goes when Live 9 was released people that bought Live 8 in the last x months prior to release got a free upgrade. That's no guarantee the same will happen when Live 10 arrives, but take it for the piece of history it is.
Live 9 wasn't released just out of the blue, and there was no free upgrades for prior purchases.

The grace period started with the official ANNOUNCEMENT and opening of the public beta, final release (and end of the grace period) was planned for some three months later, but was delayed some three or four weeks for bugfixing.

That's true, though you seem to forget Live 8 was 25% off trough the period leading up to release, after which 9 was a free upgrade. What's to say something as big as we expect from 10, will be presented "out of the blue"?

This "waiting for the next release" can be a long unproductive period.
Make some music!

frankswift

Post by frankswift » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:13 pm

What does everyone think about Ableton 10 having better Multi-Core support? I guess we can only speculate at this point, but i'm interested as Intel have just released their 8th Generation series of Processors and have brought about 6 Core / 12 Threads in their mainstream CPU's so i wonder if Ableton will do anything to take advantage of this. My current understanding is that when you enable Multi-Core Support in Live 9 that it just runs different plug-ins on seperate cores. Will Live 10 improve on this?

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:00 am

frankswift wrote: My current understanding is that when you enable Multi-Core Support in Live 9 that it just runs different plug-ins on seperate cores. Will Live 10 improve on this?
From where do you get this (in bold)? It's actually a single track on a single core, not plug-in. See "High CPU load on one core when using multi-core machines".

I don't think what you hope for here is likely, if even possible. Please show us the DAW that allows for this. These are real-time processes, where everyone wants as little latency as possible, effectively zero ms.

I think the possible improvements are more likely to be found in better efficiency overall, better streamlined handling of plug-ins that have built-in multi-core support, and separation of processes so that if one plug-in crashes, any other plug-in or process is unaffected.
Make some music!

frankswift

Post by frankswift » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:20 am

My bad it's a track per core like you said. So i'm guessing then Live will always be more dependant on single core performance than multi-core?

Also i have been using Live for at least 5 years now so have no idea what other DAWs are like, but i have used FL Studio and Reason in the past and i'm guessing they're the same and prefer single core performance also?

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:46 pm

frankswift wrote:My bad it's a track per core like you said. So i'm guessing then Live will always be more dependant on single core performance than multi-core?

Also i have been using Live for at least 5 years now so have no idea what other DAWs are like, but i have used FL Studio and Reason in the past and i'm guessing they're the same and prefer single core performance also?
I don't know the future of Live, but it would take a programmer or at least CPU breakthrough, to make this possible. It could of course be that someone has solved this kind of problem, i e real-time processing on multiple cores in a DAW, but if so I'm unaware of it. Maybe AI will solve it, who knows?

When plug-ins solve this issue it's probably a little bit easier, because the scope is more limited.

What's clear to me is that Ableton needs to teach its users about how to approach plug-in with multi-core support. As it is now it's somewhat fuzzy.
Make some music!

frankswift

Post by frankswift » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:09 pm

Yeah, thats fine, i was only wondering because right now i'm rocking an Intel i7 4770k overclocked @ 4.4 GHz and the newly released i7 8700k can easily reach 5 GHz with watercooling which is a decent boost in itself, however if Live isn't going to properly utilize those 2 extra cores then it is a bit of a waste.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:42 pm

frankswift wrote:Yeah, thats fine, i was only wondering because right now i'm rocking an Intel i7 4770k overclocked @ 4.4 GHz and the newly released i7 8700k can easily reach 5 GHz with watercooling which is a decent boost in itself, however if Live isn't going to properly utilize those 2 extra cores then it is a bit of a waste.
Live will utilize those cores. You don't mean you never go over 4 tracks, do you? If there's 6 cores, that's 2 more tracks before Live adds another track on the first core (or something close to that).
Make some music!