midi mapping from abbey road to polyplex

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
stratusseeker

midi mapping from abbey road to polyplex

Post by stratusseeker » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:14 pm

Hey everyone-

What's the most efficient way to take a midi clip from Abbey Road drummer or Studio drummer and get those midi pitches mapped to the 8 slots in Polyplex?

I want to have the midi drum clip play on the polyplex instrument.

I've been going into the piano roll and dragging the notes to a pitch that Polyplex recognizes, but this is becoming tedious.

Any suggestions?

Dream solution: There is a midi plugin that takes pitches from a midi clip and transposes them automatically to a different fixed pitch set for another instrument (such as Polyplex).

jestermgee

Re: midi mapping from abbey road to polyplex

Post by jestermgee » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:36 pm

Well there is the MIDI Transpose effect that can shift the incoming MIDI up/down as a whole, but if you have 8 MIDI notes in Polyplex and a mirriad of notes in another drum sequencer then it's not all going to fit.

So as I understand, you want to use the sounds in Polyplex... but not create the patterns for it.

Abbey Road Drummer has MIDI patterns that are nice and detailed which you can simply use... but that requires work to make it fit

You would like a simple solution to take pre-fab MIDI patterns from one instrument, apply it to the other without having to do any work at all?

Sounds like someone is being a little lazy to me. My suggestion would be to not waste time looking for the magic solution to save you time.

stratusseeker

Re: midi mapping from abbey road to polyplex

Post by stratusseeker » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:29 pm

As I've been thinking about it today, if there's not a magic dream solution...

Midi transpose plugin just does one note at a time.

Is there a midi transpose plugin that can take many notes at once. Something like:

Any incoming C4s transpose them to C3
incoming G3s transpose them to C#3
incoming F2s transpose them to D3

It looks like drum racks can do this, although I couldn't figure out how to route them to the same instance of the Polyplex plugin.