Soundcraft 12 MTK

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Waxx

Soundcraft 12 MTK

Post by Waxx » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:39 am

Hello all,

Hope some of you can help with this: I'm using a Soundcraft 12 MTK to record my sessions into arrangement view. Works fine but, by design, the Soundcraft records post gain but pre EQ, pre FX and pre faders. This is good, however once I recorded a track in Ableton (pre EQ, pre FX and pre faders), I want to be able to send the track back to the mixer and at the same record it back into Ableton in order to apply EQ, fader movements and effects from the mixer.
I know this is possible, however I couldn't find a way to make it work despite trying pretty much every possible combination of Ext IN, Ext OUT on every track.
I've contacted Soundcraft but received no reply and the guide they provide for Ableton doesn't cover this topic so hopefully you guys can help.

Thanks a lot in advance

Richie Witch

Re: Soundcraft 12 MTK

Post by Richie Witch » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:18 pm

From Soundcraft's "Recording Guide":
Console channels can be set up to receive USB Input and can be engaged per-channel with the USB RTN button located on each channel strip.
This means that channels that have been sent to the DAW for recording can then be returned from the DAW, back through the console, converted to analogue and mixed as a standard input source.
Assuming you've already tried that, I suspect the issue is actually with Live. I would think you need to change the output routing from the track in Live from "Master" to the USB input channel on your mixer.

So the issue might be that you're not hearing sound coming into that channel of the mixer because Live hasn't been told to send it there.
"Watching the Sky" ~ A 4-track EP of piano, strings, and Native American flute

Waxx

Post by Waxx » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:25 pm

Hi there and thanks for your reply.
I did try already to follow the manual and have also switched the output routing in Live from Master to the relative USB channel on the mixer. Just to be clear: I am able to hear back from the mixer what I have recorded in Live and am able to tweak EQ, effects, faders in real time and hear what I am doing. What I am not able to do is recording these tweakings back into Live.
For instance if I record a drum pattern on 1 Audio in Live I can send it back to channel 1 on the mixer and by engaging the USB RTN button on the mixer I can hear the recording and tweak it on the console. If I then create another audio track in Live in order to re-record the original audio track after this has gone through the mixer and EQ has been applied to it, I cannot do it. I have managed to partially succeed at this by assigning channel 13/14 as the Ext IN on the new audio track, however the input level is so low it can barely be heard and it's effectively useless.

I'm sure it can be done and it's only a matter of finding the correct routing combination, any help would be massively appreciated.

miyaru

Post by miyaru » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:37 pm

Can't you record a bus from the MTK 12 to Live? Most consoles have busses wich can be routed to the DAW......

Is there a way out (USB) from a bus to Ableton?
Greetings from Miyaru.
Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen, ESI M4U eX, Reason 12, Live Suit 10, Push2, Presonus Eris E8 and Monitor Station V2, Lexicon MPX1,
Korg N1, Yamaha RM1x :mrgreen:

Waxx

Post by Waxx » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:25 pm

Hi,

That could be a good way to go. I could send the tracks to Grp 1-2 on the console, however unfortunately there is no USB channel for the Grp 1-2 bus. Or at least I can't find it.
There is this video of a guy who is able to do it in Pro-Tools using a Print track, but I wouldn't know how to replicate the same process in Live as I don't think there are Print tracks: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITJNiUEqNyA
Does anybody know how to do in Live what he does in Pro-Tools?

Thanks all

Richie Witch

Post by Richie Witch » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:11 pm

If you follow the process he uses in the video *exactly*, it should work the same way in Live. What he calls a "print track" is just studio jargon for what he is doing with an audio track--it's not a special track in ProTools. You can use an audio track in Live and it will work exactly the same.

The problem is that you must route Grp 1/2 back to Live, and you've said you can't find those routing inputs in Live's input list. But that's the key--find those, and it will work.

I'm hoping this isn't a compatibility issue with Live itself. For example, Presonus Studio 1 recognizes that my mixer can optionally use channels 13/14 to record the aux returns, so it lists those channels twice with the correct labels: one for recording an external stereo source and one for recording stereo aux returns. Live does not recognize this feature and I have to do a little finagling to get it to work in Live.
"Watching the Sky" ~ A 4-track EP of piano, strings, and Native American flute

kludge

Post by kludge » Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:02 pm

I'm late to the party on this post, and I'n a total noob to the MTK and Ableton Live, but maybe this is what you're looking for...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIi-_hl63yI

eggnogagogo

Post by eggnogagogo » Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:54 am

If anyone is still following this thread, I can help you. Drop me a line.

stumerch

Re: Soundcraft 22 MTK

Post by stumerch » Fri May 24, 2019 11:49 am

Hey everyone

For some reason my desk as stopped returning audio via the usb return function.

Worked previously, just changed ableton channel audio out to what ever ext channel I was using and the hit the usb return button and the audio would play from ableton and out of my desk.

Now it doesn’t work.... I’ve tried various different channels and nothing.

Frustrating... and ideas on what the issue could help?

Ableton 10
MacBook
Signature 22MTK

The Rasa

Post by The Rasa » Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:52 pm

eggnogagogo wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:54 am
If anyone is still following this thread, I can help you. Drop me a line.
Hey, I have exactly the same problem than the first person who started this thread. Still didn't figure out how to record
the final product, when I'm tweeking the knobs live on the mixer.

Fonz77

Post by Fonz77 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:13 pm

Hi guys

I just got the 22 signature soundcraft. When i connect the usb, it only recognises 2 input channels and 2 output channels not 22. i Have tried everything on the videos and still ableton is only recognising 2 channels. Any idea what it could be? Fonz