Where can I download Live 8?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Shokol8

Where can I download Live 8?

Post by Shokol8 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:19 pm

Hello,
I owned Live 8 licence, and I would like to install it again, live 9 is way too slow on my Mac,tho I got an SSD, and I remember live 8 was working like a charm for me.
I don't care about the 9 new features, I have come to a point, where every action I do on ableton, start with one minute wheeling spin before, if im lucky, to conclude, if unlucky, freezing to death. so new features or not, I can't use them.
It's killing me.
I just want create songs and come back to my flow I had with 8, at that point the rest is gimmick.

Can someone point me to a legit copy, thank you very much.
Help very much appreciated.
Shokol8
Paris, Bristol
MBP i5 2.3Gh 8GB 500SSD, 1TB HDD
Sierra Suite 9.7 Edirol FA101
CME VX5, Irig Keys Pro
APC40/Push 1
Ipad Air, Alesis I/O dock, NI S4 & F1
http://soundcloud.com/dr_goldsylver-fastfinger

DEEMUSIC

Re: Where can I download Live 8?

Post by DEEMUSIC » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:04 pm

In your account under "Older Live versions can be downloaded from the download archive".

Shokol8

Post by Shokol8 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:41 am

DEEMUSIC wrote:In your account under "Older Live versions can be downloaded from the download archive".
Yes I looked for that, I didn’t realise it was there, beautiful.
And do you know if the 2 version can co-exist together? And if no, if there is a work around to have them both?

Thank you again for your precious info and your time! ;-)
Shokol8
Paris, Bristol
CME VX5, Irig Keys Pro
APC40/Push 1

Shokol8

Post by Shokol8 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:37 am

Ok so they do co-exist well in application folder, the only last thing I got to do, is to authorize it, cos for now , I can’t save and export, but something goes wrong on ableton part, it won’t let me the possibility to auth. Live 8 online and, offline, it seems corrupted, it doesn’t accept the auz file, so I contacted the ableton team about it.
And I can’t wait,cos damn 8 is way faster, it’s unbelievable, Whao it’s Godspeed compared to 9, I’m definitely gonna work on it, and rebuild a library from scratch, only with live stock devices, it’s gonna be fun.
I will leave 9 on the side for now as I’m not planning on buying a new computer until this one dies.
Live 8 is definitely still a beast, amazing!!! :-)
Shokol8
Paris, Bristol
CME VX5, Irig Keys Pro
APC40/Push 1

cids

Post by cids » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:53 am

You should check your Live 9 installation, because the problems you're describing are not normal... your Mac should be able to run L9 just fine...
Mac Studio M2 Max and MacBook Pro M1

Genelec M030; Live 11.3.x and Live 12; macOS Sonoma

UAD Apollo Twin

Ableton Push 2

Shokol8

Post by Shokol8 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:30 pm

cids wrote:You should check your Live 9 installation, because the problems you're describing are not normal... your Mac should be able to run L9 just fine...
I really have no idea, both 8 and 9 are installed the same way, they both run in 64bit, and 8 launch in a sec, and run flawlessly, so i don’t think it’s the way they are installed, that might be the problem. Maybe 9 can’t handle big packs library, cos live 8 only got 3giga of library for now, when my live 9 was around 120G. It could be how 9 run under the hood too, as live 8 must be much lighter in term of language? I dunno if it’s the right word, but I mean no M4L, no implementation for push, it might make live8 eco-system run more smoothly. I dunno, it’s just hypothesis and supposition, I’m not a programmer. But I actually don’t mind, I rarely used Push anyway, and I always loved 8 workflow over 9, and I don’t mind working with restriction, as long the system run fast, and 8 does that, running impressively fast. ;-)
Shokol8
Paris, Bristol
CME VX5, Irig Keys Pro
APC40/Push 1

login

Post by login » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:10 pm

I would suggest contacting support, I have seen systems getting very slow while running Live and other apps with OSX Sierra. Maybe you making a fresh install of the OS could resolve your issues.

Shokol8

Post by Shokol8 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:06 am

login wrote:I would suggest contacting support, I have seen systems getting very slow while running Live and other apps with OSX Sierra. Maybe you making a fresh install of the OS could resolve your issues.
Fresh install was made, it took me a day. But no, I mean it's a bit better, but Live 9 is just too heavy I guess, it does way more things, but at the cost of latency.
I mean I'm fine using 8 for now, I might use 9 just for the mixing stage or something. It's just I don't want to buy a new computer for he next 3 years to come, so 8 is just the perfect match for me right now, and it's not that obsolete anyway, except max for live, it still got mostly what 9 got.
8 is so incredibly fast, that I can't complaint about it, it's just a pure joy to play back with it ;D
Shokol8
Paris, Bristol
CME VX5, Irig Keys Pro
APC40/Push 1

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:17 am

I suspect your MBP is newer than my old early 2011 i7 MBP - L9.7 64 bit starts up in a few seconds for me and not much different to start up time on my 4Ghz skylake PC (with high sped ram and M2SSD etc) - full ableton suite, komplete ultimate and loads of other pluging etc running off a 1TB SSD.

Do you have a really complex default template in L9? That can degrade startup time alot if its having to load alot of plugins and samples etc.
Nothing to see here - move along!

Shokol8

Post by Shokol8 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:53 am

Khazul wrote:I suspect your MBP is newer than my old early 2011 i7 MBP - L9.7 64 bit starts up in a few seconds for me and not much different to start up time on my 4Ghz skylake PC (with high sped ram and M2SSD etc) - full ableton suite, komplete ultimate and loads of other pluging etc running off a 1TB SSD.

Do you have a really complex default template in L9? That can degrade startup time alot if its having to load alot of plugins and samples etc.
Nope, 2011 for me too, I prefer this year cos you can upgrade them, not a big fan of where apple goes with soldered components.
I got few templates to start with but the default, have a few things in it, but everything is switch off, and I try to keep it as simple as possible, (Kick, drum, bass, melody, chords) tracks with my fav instru in it.
But then I got a lot of remote midi script in ableton engine (komplete, lemur, LK,conductr), I don’t know if it adds latency or not.
Anyway, that’s the whole app that I found slow,at every step of making music, as I say I got fresh install, and it’s a bit faster, but still not there,I think ableton can’t deal with big library also. That’s why for now, I’m really happy to work with 8, sure I don’t have much library, as all packs have been upgraded for 9, I don’t have M4L, but it is so much faster, and it’s just what I need, and I can always re open the project with 9 if I want to add M4L effect and so on, if really needed. So I just get the best of both world.
Shokol8
Paris, Bristol
CME VX5, Irig Keys Pro
APC40/Push 1