live10, native lfo, ios vs android, ableton vs bitwig

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
ivarin
Posts: 114
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:45 pm
Contact:

live10, native lfo, ios vs android, ableton vs bitwig

Post by ivarin » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:43 pm

unfortunately the latter (again), sorry.
the only thing i wanted to ask indeed is: what really keeps you with Live? honestly. i've been a loyal live suite user for years, had push, now push2, i really love live and i don't want to start another holy war here.
the matter is that now i'm desperately trying not being impulsive after ~2hrs of messing w/ bitwig. but i really loved it. it's like the way things supposed to be since day 1 but somehow no-one noticed that. since some of you mentioned on this forum that live is getting more dope-beatz oriented, i found bitwig being incredibly into experimental sound design with its fantastic routing options, feedback fx slots etc, not to mention modulation thing.
and what a relief realizing it's all achieved natively, not being dependent on a huge, heavy and buggy m4l part or anything.

i know i'm missing something here. or not?


appreciate your feedback
cheers

S4racen
Posts: 5109
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:08 pm
Location: Dunstable
Contact:

Re: live10, native lfo, ios vs android, ableton vs bitwig

Post by S4racen » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:44 pm

M4L isn't buggy....

Cheers
D

ivarin
Posts: 114
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:45 pm
Contact:

Re: live10, native lfo, ios vs android, ableton vs bitwig

Post by ivarin » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:50 pm

S4racen wrote:M4L isn't buggy....

Cheers
D
considering subj and apart from m4l discussion, S4racen, is it the only thing that keeps you with Live?

Shift Gorden
Posts: 583
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:45 pm
Location: Oklahoma City
Contact:

Re: live10, native lfo, ios vs android, ableton vs bitwig

Post by Shift Gorden » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:04 pm

Oooooooh - click baity title - what is this, BUZZFEED?

Sounds like Bitwig is the software for you. I like Live because it's the software for me ;) The only limitations are my imaginaton and ignorance, and for the latter the folk on this forum help out!

ivarin
Posts: 114
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:45 pm
Contact:

Re: live10, native lfo, ios vs android, ableton vs bitwig

Post by ivarin » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:14 pm

Shift Gorden wrote:Oooooooh - click baity title - what is this, BUZZFEED?

Sounds like Bitwig is the software for you. I like Live because it's the software for me ;) The only limitations are my imaginaton and ignorance, and for the latter the folk on this forum help out!
come on, Shift Gorden, you have no idea about my ignorance. suppose i know nothing about live after all these years — i'm asking for help folks on this forum; or i know live inside out — i wonder the opinions and what am i missing. don't be biased

Stromkraft
Posts: 7033
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:34 am

Re: live10, native lfo, ios vs android, ableton vs bitwig

Post by Stromkraft » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:46 pm

ivarin wrote: the only thing i wanted to ask indeed is: what really keeps you with Live?


I create my music effortlessly and don't think about "the DAW" in session. That's worth more than "features" and another set of problems. We can all read at the Bitwig sites. There are always issues with any DAW, just different.
Make some music!

miyaru
Posts: 568
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:08 pm
Location: The Netherlands

Re: live10, native lfo, ios vs android, ableton vs bitwig

Post by miyaru » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:19 am

One should not be bothered by the fact what DAW he/she uses.... Just use what you like best. What use does it have to ask another about it? I don't care what you like or not, and I'm not bothered what you think about the fact what I like best..... No offense, but spend your time making music I guess....

I've used Cubase in many incarnations for about 20yrs, and last winter went to Live - and never looked back, do you think anyone on the Cubase forum cares? That is what I mean.
Greetings from Miyaru.

Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Saffire Pro40, Live Suit 10, Push2, Presonus Eris E8, Lexicon MPX1,
Korg N1, Korg R3, NI Massive, Air Hybrid 3 and Scaler.

jestermgee
Posts: 3128
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:38 am
Contact:

Re: live10, native lfo, ios vs android, ableton vs bitwig

Post by jestermgee » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:23 am

don't be biased
That's kind of hard for most of us since it's what we use every day and what we have come to like.

What keeps me with Live is I can do pretty much everything I want and I have been more than happy with it, have never felt the urge to switch or even try something new. I use to use trackers back in the 90s and early 00s which I loved for the workflow but I started craving more stability and plugins over samples so I spent a few years trying Fruity, Cubase/Nuendo, Reason, Reaper before stumbling over Live (which at the time I had not even heard of) and almost straight away the workflow clicked. Been happy ever since.

I have nothing to argue why someone else should stay/go with another. Spend your time making your mind up, your experience will differ from mine.

micksmuse
Posts: 93
Joined: Sun May 26, 2013 12:53 pm

Re: live10, native lfo, ios vs android, ableton vs bitwig

Post by micksmuse » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:03 am

revolver was done on a four track recorder i believe. archaic compared to what even reaper gives you. sometimes creativity comes from things you can't do.
i have grown to love live for not only what it affords me the luxury of doing but what it forces me to do out of compromise.
necessity is the mother of invention etc.
you can go nuts chasing every option and realizing that all the options are never under one hood.

ivarin
Posts: 114
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:45 pm
Contact:

Re: live10, native lfo, ios vs android, ableton vs bitwig

Post by ivarin » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:42 am

miyaru wrote:One should not be bothered by the fact what DAW he/she uses.... Just use what you like best. What use does it have to ask another about it? I don't care what you like or not, and I'm not bothered what you think about the fact what I like best..... No offense, but spend your time making music I guess....
why you bother replying this topic then? i asked what are live's important features for you, not what to be bothered by or how to spend my time. no offense.

this is strange. this forum is full of 'suggestions', live10 feature expectations, begging about native lfo etc., but when it comes to bitwig's comparison, i'm hearing about 'limitation is creativity', 'just not your DAW', 'music has been created on 4 tracks recorders' (i know that, thank -god- intel now we have i7 CPUs). this has nothing to do with this topic.

i wonder what are live's important features for you if it's not just an habit or minor requirements

antic604
Posts: 568
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:14 am
Location: Warsaw, Poland

Re: live10, native lfo, ios vs android, ableton vs bitwig

Post by antic604 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:12 am

I keep my Live 9 license in case v10 brings some long-awaited improvements to the arrangement view. If not, I'm selling it. What I love though, is the sheer amount of content - tutorials, presets, etc. - available on the net and its native instruments (especially the more esoteric ones: Collision, Electric and Tension). On the other hand the community - not particularly this forum, but most of Facebook groups for example - is infuriating with countless clueless people asking the most trivial questions, not bothering to RTFM or Google. That's the price of huge popularity and everyone wanting to be a 'beat maker', without actually putting any effort to get there.

Bitwig - as you say - is indeed much more coherent, consistent and modern, because it has the advantage of being coded from the ground up taking into account all the mistakes that Live and other DAWs made over the last 15-20 years. It still lacks several really basic features - also missing in Live, e.g. comping, alias clips - and copies some questionable stuff from Live (e.g. the Tool / Utility not going down to -Inf dB) but currently it is my DAW of choice, since my music is about modulation and sound design. The way they think is just unparalleled, for example most DAWs have a setting per-track where you can delay or advance its playback relative to the rest of the tracks, sort of like a manual PDC. In 2.2 beta of Bitwig that's going on right now, they've introduced Time Shift DEVICE that you can put anywhere in your device's chain, so e.g. you can have the delay or reverb start playing *before* the actual instrument when you put it between them, or you can add a groove / swing to a sampled loop without chopping it by modulating the Time Shift forwards and backwards with one of the LFOs, etc. Mindblowing stuff :)

Martin Gifford
Posts: 423
Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:48 am

Re: live10, native lfo, ios vs android, ableton vs bitwig

Post by Martin Gifford » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:18 am

I hate both grey and orange. I'd never move to orange. I like Studio One for its songwriting features and ability to have a few songs open at once, but haven't moved over yet. Not sure what I'm waiting for. :oops: Maybe waiting to see if they make Ableton v10 significantly better. Doubt it.

ivarin
Posts: 114
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:45 pm
Contact:

Re: live10, native lfo, ios vs android, ableton vs bitwig

Post by ivarin » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:49 am

antic604 sooo agree with you. but you know even those countless tutorials and yet another wow-you'd-never-discover-this-thing-in-ableton youtube videos become kinda tiresome. that's when 'just make music' suggestion sounds wise :)
btw you can download their beta to get 2.2 features. oh i noticed how poor their sampler is comparing to live's one, hope they'll get to it soon.
do you have/had Push(2)? do you use m4l? what do you think on these ones?

Martin Gifford orange lets you having several project being open at once too fyi. i never tried studio one tho and know nothing about it. i had great expectations for l10 but considering they rely on m4l and push heavily there's nothing to be agitated about imo

miyaru
Posts: 568
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:08 pm
Location: The Netherlands

Re: live10, native lfo, ios vs android, ableton vs bitwig

Post by miyaru » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:05 am

I will tell you what my most importend thing about Live is: Push 2!

I have no troubles getting around Live and it's features, I read the manual quiet often in my spare time, and see and saw a lot of YT stuff about Live. The way Live operates with Push 2 is for me the ideal workflow, I can work efficient and fast this way.

I don't know Bitwig, never worked with it, never saw it in real, and not interested at all in it. I'm happy with Live. Happily enough, 'cause I spent enough on Live 9 suite and Push 2 LOL.

And again, I did not wanted to be offensive, but one got to make his mind up himself I guess. I think you have nothing on the fact I love my Push 2, if you love Bitwig better and more........ Don't let technolegy get in the way of making music; Push 2 is for me the thing that makes it easier!!!
Greetings from Miyaru.

Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Saffire Pro40, Live Suit 10, Push2, Presonus Eris E8, Lexicon MPX1,
Korg N1, Korg R3, NI Massive, Air Hybrid 3 and Scaler.

ivarin
Posts: 114
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:45 pm
Contact:

Re: live10, native lfo, ios vs android, ableton vs bitwig

Post by ivarin » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:51 am

miyaru wrote:I will tell you what my most importend thing about Live is: Push 2!
I have no troubles getting around Live and it's features, I read the manual quiet often in my spare time, and see and saw a lot of YT stuff about Live. The way Live operates with Push 2 is for me the ideal workflow, I can work efficient and fast this way.
thank you.
miyaru wrote: one got to make his mind up himself I guess.
you see, ironically i started this thread exactly because of this. to make up my mind having some opinions and points of views.
miyaru wrote:I think you have nothing on the fact I love my Push 2, if you love Bitwig better and more........ Don't let technolegy get in the way of making music; Push 2 is for me the thing that makes it easier!!!
am i insisting on anything here?

again, thank you for your response

Post Reply