How to make improvised DJ sets w/ Ableton ?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Wakeon

How to make improvised DJ sets w/ Ableton ?

Post by Wakeon » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:13 pm

Hey friends!
Next week, i have to make a one hour dj set for a radio but habitually I composed songs and I've never mixed for a live show.
I wantetd to know how to make improvised dj sets w/ Ableton Live, like Madeon for example. I know he use Follow Actions but I don't know how to conciliate follow actions with IMPROVISED dj sets.
Moreover i wanted to know how to make very good transitions (dynamic) and which effects to use.

Thanks a lot!

jestermgee

Re: How to make improvised DJ sets w/ Ableton ?

Post by jestermgee » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:35 am

Well basically you are asking people to sum up in a post what they may spend months preparing for. Gonna be a hard ask.

I personally don't even use Live for DJing tracks, I use Serato because I kind of go "old school" with motorized platter decks and on the fly requests. I spend a few weeks preparing set lists, talking songs, setting grids and cues and practicing transitions etc. like an instrument, you need to constantly practice.

IMO request DJing (like weddings and especially 18/21st's) is much harder than set list DJing because you need to deal with requests and "can I just plug my phone and play that, everyone will love my music"

Start designing your set now and don't stop till ur on the radio.

Wakeon

Post by Wakeon » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:44 am

Sure but all my tracks are ready
In fact I want to make something like that

https://vimeo.com/154341056

Thx

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:51 am

a one hour set prepared like that would normally take me upwards of a couple of days...

There is no shortcut...

Cheers
D