Organizing (Drum) Samples: Myriad: Should I do it?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Dhji

Organizing (Drum) Samples: Myriad: Should I do it?

Post by Dhji » Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:58 am

Over 8 years I've collected and mostly purchased all these drum samples and for the first time I looked at how many I have and it came to 72,241 samples (Thats not including the steven slate drums, komplete 9 ultimate drums, ableton drums/I also enjoy making my own from scratch). Like personally I would like to have maybe a couple hundred, I find it overwhelms me when trying to find a kick or snare etc.

I discovered Myriad (http://myriad.aurchitect.com/) and it seems like it can do what I want + more. Suddenly I'm realizing that I could adjust the volume of all the samples, normalize, re-name the files all under one program - Which if your like me, doesn't make the creative process feel stagnant due to doing everything under one program.

It's $80US. Sure that's alot of money, but the question is, is it necessary? I'm learning toward yes, however the reason I am creating this thread is to see if there are programs that

A. Do the job better and are less $ (or more)

B. Are ways to go about this without having a dedicated program

C. Hell ya have a dedicated program! This is our career (for some), take it seriously!

What do you think?
Worth it?

jestermgee

Re: Organizing (Drum) Samples: Myriad: Should I do it?

Post by jestermgee » Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:22 am

Uh, how will that program solve your issue you started with that you have too many samples to dig through?

I think what you need to do is simplify your browsing/samples. Maybe start by creating your own custom library of drum sounds as a start and simply copy the samples from all the packs you have into a central browser sorted by Kicks, Snares, Hats etc. I spent probably 6 months at one stage doing that and it has worked much better for browsing.

Dalski

Post by Dalski » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:20 am

AudioFinder is another app that you might want to take a look at...

http://www.icedaudio.com/site/

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:12 am

I think this is a case where I rather wait for an AI-based solution, even as I got Audio Finder some time ago. What's needed IMHO, is that a tool can analyze content and at least tag samples based on that. Second to that a fast way to evaluate and find samples in context and thirdly to tag mark manually as fast as you can think. Ableton could do a lot there, though I guess they prefer to sell samples in the form of their packs. A tag or content oriented system could help producers find samples within their packs as well, so even so a much needed solution or if there is something better.
Make some music!

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:02 pm

Myriad is my main tool for converting files and organizing them too, I think it works great. Back them up first, it's easy to make a mistake with the destination settings and erase things if you're still learning the app.