Thinking of ditching my Virus TI

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Khazul

Thinking of ditching my Virus TI

Post by Khazul » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:17 pm

12 years ago today, the Virus TI was released. 12 years on and people are still suffering the some of issues present on day 1 and I think I have finally had enough of the damn thing. While I still love the sound of it, I cant I feel anything other than frustration and contempt with its buggy VC software and the TI concept. Even standalone is is not 100% crackle free. To cap it all, you cant even plug move the thing from a PC to a Mac without having to change its firmware, so Ive pretty much had enough - Fukem!

Before I get rid of it, there are alot of patches I have used in tracks that I may want to re-work in future and so I would like to re-create a close likeness. I am wondering if others here have gone through a similar 'divorce' and if so which plugins did you use when you wanted to get really close. I do not care about latest TI features, I'm only really interesting in re-creating mostly Virus B/C level patches with a few TI hypersaw patches. The chances are I already have suitable plugin synths and fx, I'm only just starting to dig into the problem :)

I probably have about 40-50 patches that I really want to re-create and I guess the ideal is something with a similar internal structure so long as the waveforms and filters are not too far off.
I'm guessing zeta and sylenth are probably the best starting points and maybe diva for some sound that use the analog mode filter? Other thoughts?

Thanks
Nothing to see here - move along!

Tarekith

Re: Thinking of ditching my Virus TI

Post by Tarekith » Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:19 pm

I originally sold my TI when I first started getting into Zebra2. Awesome sound quality and it did a good job at letting me recreate the same kinds of sounds as the TI. That held me over for a couple years before I started missing the hands on aspect of the Virus and got another TI2 Polar. :)

xbitz

Post by xbitz » Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:53 pm

I would wait the Virus replica Viper, and if it's working (well with jBridge...)

http://www.adamszabo.com/internet/viper ... s_demo.mp3
trance part from 2:21

https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopi ... 1&t=470486

will be released very soon

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:59 pm

Thanks Tarekith - I suspected you might have some pointers :)
Hows the TI2 working out? I have occasionally looked at Zebra, but never quite enough to take the plunge, I do like their synths though (have ACE and DIVA) :)

xbitz - That looks interesting (much more so if he does 64 bit versions of for OSX and Windows) - thanks.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:31 pm

Khazul wrote:Thanks Tarekith - I suspected you might have some pointers :)
Hows the TI2 working out? I have occasionally looked at Zebra, but never quite enough to take the plunge, I do like their synths though (have ACE and DIVA) :)
LOL well I sold the TI2 too a few years ago. :) I had spent months prepping to record a new live album using the TI2 and Machinedrum, carefully making sysex backups daily. One the day I went to record the album, one of my TI2 sounds wasn't the way it should be, so I reloaded the sysex file from the night before and... all my work was gone. Turns out there was a bug with sysex dumps of Multi's from the TI2, and I was the one who found it. So all the back ups I had diligently made were corrupted, and when I reloaded the last one onto the unit, all my work was overwritten with garbage.

It was on Ebay that night. :)

Other than that nightmare it was fine for me, and I still think it's one of the greatest hardware synths of all time Certainly the most feature laden of all of them. I never used the TI aspects though, it was strictly a hardware standalone device as far as I was concerned. I was part of the early Access beta team for the TI series when they were first developing it (I had a TI for about a couple years before it was announced), and I saw all the headaches they went through getting the software integration to work. Just never seemed like a smooth sailing road to me. Elektron's recent overbridge updates remind me of this a lot too actually.....

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:06 pm

Fair enough - yes - I remember the closed beta team - I was in that as well back in the early days.

Like I said, I love the sound of the thing, but its a complete pain in the ass - unless you use it stand alone. Even then the latest OS seems to have introduced some crackles even with not particularly dsp heavy singles. I have a load of projects I wanted to rework and non of them are playing right with the current software (they all used the TI plugin during one of its few stable periods), ie sync issues, cranking regardless of whether I run the projects on my mac or PC and polyphony seems way way down compared to before (ie im getting loads of notes staling and some parts dropping out entirely), and then there is the issue that the OSX firmware wont work with PC and visa versa which is a right pain if you work with both platforms a lot - apparently thats been an issue with a fix pending for 3 years. I havnt been using it for ages as the PSU died, but i just fixed it and have been very quickly reminded what a nightmare the thing had become.

As it is Im resigned to creating multis of the patch sets for tracks and then getting rid of VC so I can bounce them over midi one at a time and/or re-creating the trivial patches in something else - urgh!

As you can guess - Ive had enough - just want to bang in some nice noises and make some music - not get frustrated with this thing.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:24 pm

Anyway to revert back to a previous OS on the TI so you can just export all your projects as audio and move on without having to recreate everything?

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:33 pm

Sure, I just wanted to keep the original synth parts tweakable as I have no plan to rework these projects right now, but I expect I will do so in the future.

Ill probably just end up bouncing them and taking some screen shots of the VC patch tabs for each.
The irony - all this integration and automation and Im back to taking old school photos of patching ;p

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:14 am

:D