10 is announced!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
theophilus

Re: 10 is announced!

Post by theophilus » Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:19 pm

silversurfer60 wrote:M4Live is now integrated in the Suite, so less problems... but not in Live Standard.

That means, if I upgrade from Live9 standard to Live10 standard, my M4live, which I purchased years ago separately, makes the same problems as always.

In other words: Live Suite Users have no problems for the future to use M4live and the Live Standard Users with a separately
bought M4Live are second-class users.

Thats nice, thank you Ableton.
i don't know if that's true yet.. let's wait and see.

for the 8->9 transition, there was a new M4L version (i think max 5->6 maybe?), and that's when it was first included with suite. But owners of 8 who didn't want everything from 9 could upgrade to 9 standard, and afaik they got all the new M4L features still if they already have M4L. I'd expect it to work the same thing time.

TheCoil

Post by TheCoil » Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:42 pm

theophilus wrote:i was looking at automation delay compensation - it isn't fixed for live 10, apparently, or the visual indicators (not too surprising, but sad).

It's baffling that they wouldn't have fixed this very fundamental problem with the program's architecture.

pocketcalc

Post by pocketcalc » Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:46 pm

visibility of all automation lanes is now toggled via the Automation Mode button or the "A" key.
Talk about slow development. Of course that finally having stuff like this is a relief, but that should have been added years ago in a point release. How many more lines of code Live needed to hide all automation? Looks like the people in charge of user experience and interface design at Ableton are afraid of changing "The Ableton Workflow". Or maybe it is a strategy to keep people expecting easy-to-add features, and slowly add them for a price? Or maybe the codebase is still old and touchy, prone to break? It really bugs me. Live 9 was released 4 years ago and that's all for live 10? New devices are boring, even when they are the coolest, like these, because there are a million third party plugins available.

Anyway, I’m going to pre order it because yeah, being able to do those little things that every other daw was doing 10 years is great.

The main missing features for me are:

Comping/take management.
Audio editing overall, including being able to edit audio inside clips.
Better scoring tools, timecode, video handling, markers etc.

Hope they add some of these on a point release.

siliconarc

Post by siliconarc » Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:47 pm

silversurfer, I might be wrong here but...

if you upgrade your Live standard 9 to standard 10, i'd imagine Live 10's built-in Max will be licensed for you, as you're a Max for Live license holder. Max for Live is built in to all versions – Intro, Standard & Suite. it's your licenses that determine what bits are unlocked.

afaik, your individual Max for Live license is the same as an individual Operator/Sampler license, which you don't have to pay to upgrade, and your license should 'unlock' the integrated Max.
Last edited by siliconarc on Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pete202

Post by Pete202 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:49 pm

Stromkraft wrote:
Pete202 wrote:
Tarekith wrote:
• Max is now bundled in Live, and no longer requires an external installation.
So, is a Java installation still required for M4L to work?
It isn't already now in Live 9. I forgot which recent version of MFL dropped this as a (hidden) requirement, but it has been dropped.
Thanks for the clarification. :-)

Pete202

Post by Pete202 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:53 pm

ianedge wrote:anyone else think the £183 upgrade price is a bit steep?
Comes up as £199 for me :(

theophilus

Post by theophilus » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:25 pm

TheCoil wrote:
theophilus wrote:i was looking at automation delay compensation - it isn't fixed for live 10, apparently, or the visual indicators (not too surprising, but sad).

It's baffling that they wouldn't have fixed this very fundamental problem with the program's architecture.
I agree... but there's also a way to get around it for beat-synced effects now, at least.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:49 pm

Editing multiple clips in one view is actually quite promising.

I think it's a very clear incremental step towards recording and editing various other kinds of polyphonic input methods.

If they get that functioning well, then it is also a pretty clear path towards vst3 support.

TheCoil

Post by TheCoil » Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:21 pm

theophilus wrote:
TheCoil wrote:

I agree... but there's also a way to get around it for beat-synced effects now, at least.
It just seems unfortunate that we should be cobbling together workarounds for something that affects the quality of sound for such a large part of the music I make (and probably plenty of others too).

This aspect of Ableton is the only thing that ever makes me question whether I should move to a different DAW.

All the fun new features that get added with each new release are shiny and eye-catching but the basic program needs to be putting out the best quality sound, on par with every other DAW before we need to worry about MPE and nested groups and improved midi editing, etc.

SvenH

Post by SvenH » Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:26 pm

There seems to be a lot to like in this upgrade! Groups within groups, more sleek GUI, workflow enhancements,... :D

locojohn

Post by locojohn » Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:46 pm

I wonder if rendering to disk performance has been improved in Live 10. I couldn't find anything about it in the release notes. Maybe someone could render a bigger project with many tracks/effects and compare Live 9 and Live 10 in this regard?

Andrejs
/*
  • the basic tone of life remains the same,
    and in it there are some happy melodies
    and some sad melodies
    - sekito kisen
*/

Myattmode

Post by Myattmode » Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:37 pm

Are lag issues resolved in Live 10?

Soul's Alien

Post by Soul's Alien » Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:44 pm

Machinesworking wrote:
Soul's Alien wrote:Hi Everyone,

I always wanted to use Push 2 while Ableton is rewired slave mode into Pro Tools or Cubase, but does not work at all. It's as if Push doesn't recognize that Ableton is running.

Will it works under the new Ableton 10? Will I be able to use Ableton with Push within a master daw?

Cheers
If you read the thread or look at the release notes Ableton published you will see that there are apparently improvements in the way Push behaves when Live is in rewire slave mode. So far everyone who has posted who has the beta is incapable for various reasons of testing how much has been improved. Hopefully one of us folks that are gnawing at the bit to see if for instance you can use the Drum Rack sequencer in Push while Live 10 is a rewire slave to DAWs like Pro Tools, Cubase DP9, Logic etc. gets a copy of the beta soon as we can verify that Live 10 is capable of using advanced Push features in Live while Live is a rewire slave.
Thank you for your reply however I don’t see my answer nowhere. I have been asking the same questions all over the place but not confirmation.
Hopefully someone come up with some further details about Ableton/PUSH on rewire-slave mode.

Thank you

bigmuz7

Post by bigmuz7 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:07 pm

Sorry but ... I cant be arsed to read 11 pages of fan boi stuff VST3 support... yes or no yet ?

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:22 pm

graphixsounds wrote:
Stromkraft wrote:
graphixsounds wrote:how on earth did they drop the ball that hard and not add MPE support?
How can you ask for MPE and ignore polyphonic aftertouch, that's been part of the MIDI spec for 30 years or so? After all, MPE is not even two years and hardware support is limited. There's plenty of PA-supporting hardware out there, also old. Even Push support polyphonic aftertouch AFAIK.
of course, Poly AT is a no brainer. I don't understand why this isnt native in live 9/10. Its just weird when ableton puts Seaboards in their product/studio shots. They commission Roger Linn to give tutorials for their website, and the linnstrument is neglected here in a major way. I just don't get it. Bitwig has had PolyAT/MPE native and Ableton has the Push that supports poly AT and all of this is still missing in Live? Its crazy
Agreed.
Make some music!