10 is announced!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
h3rtz

Re: 10 is announced!

Post by h3rtz » Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:47 pm

Tarekith wrote:
Machinesworking wrote: Have to ask though, nothing in the release about polyphonic aftertouch or MPE? Is it coming or is it being under advertised?
Live 10 does not have MPE yet. Ableton are keenly aware of how many people want this, it's not something they are ignoring.
hopefully as an upgrade soon and not with Live 11 in 4 years...

Pete202

Post by Pete202 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:57 pm

Tarekith wrote:
• Max is now bundled in Live, and no longer requires an external installation.
So, is a Java installation still required for M4L to work?

mekanism1200

Post by mekanism1200 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:16 pm

The more videos I watch on Youtube the more I realize how much has improved. The Wavetable synth is a beast, probably comparible to Serum. Hopefully having MAX built in things will be more stable with those devices. The new skins look great and the high dpi on Windows should make squinting less of an issue.

My previous comments about lack of features probably don't hold much weight. If can try the beta it might sway my decision to go with Bitwig.

emma

Post by emma » Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:33 pm

can Live 10 read Apple Loops now (.caf files) ? :?:

IronShirt

Post by IronShirt » Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:41 pm

My take so far:
Most exciting is the enhancements with Push visualization.
Better integration with Max4Live hopefully will keep the CPU down.
Edit multiple clips. Long time coming on that one.
Improved editing in arranger good.
Improved browser good.
Advanced MIDI integration good.
Wavetable looks cool, I already have plenty of similar synths.
Echo...I already have Dub Machines VST so I already have that.
Drum Buss and Pedal I already have that ground covered.
Capture I don't really get over just hitting record.
Groups in Groups...Just more diving down to get to what you want. I like to keep things top level and accessible as possible.
Wish the GUI had more improvements.
Can't believe velocity tweaking on MIDI notes is still small and fiddly.
Unless I'm mistaken still only 8 Macro knobs?

Price of upgrade a bit too high. Should have been no more than $199.

CFM

Post by CFM » Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:43 pm

ianedge wrote:anyone else think the £183 upgrade price is a bit steep? Tweaked UI, one new instrument and 3 effects? Cant see much of an improvement in the way I work to be honest. I have skipped versions in the past (8 lol), seems to be focused on people who have a Push 2 this upgrade.
I'd not expect it to have been much less, Live 8 to 9 was about the same cost! Plus you will get a number of years (4 or 5 most likely) before you have to upgrade, if you want to, again. 'Want to' is key here because no-one is forcing you to upgrade.

I've been happy with Ableton's upgrade policy. Use to have a DAW that without fail would charge you £99 every year for an upgrade, bung in a load of new stuff, stuff you were never going to use - after 4 years £400 (although this DAW did do an upgrade for life promotion some time back).

It also seems if you add to upgrade, you are not going to be charge until 10 is available - So good on Ableton for not banking thousands of pounds and then saying please wait 8 weeks.

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:48 pm

"Jippy ja ja jippi jippy ja!!!" (german bear song)

Stoked!! :D

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:52 pm

The upgrade price is about the same as it always has been. And there seem like quite a lot of new features to me, sure the big two (or three) that I actually really wanted arent in there, but it's like they have touched almost everything else. Stupid little stuff like the Utility fix or slip editing, or stretch in place, or multi-clip editing, etc etc. There's a lot of stuff in there.
I've upgraded other DAWs for even fewer reasons. I got Studio one just for the arrangement tools, Arranger and scratch pad and I bought it even thinking Live 10 was gonna bring those tools too (wrong! :( :cry: ) , but still bought S1.

igneous

Post by igneous » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:02 pm

I signed up for the beta program and pre-ordered live 10, but still the only available beta for me on centercode is Live 9 :(

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:05 pm

Patience grasshopper.

Stefan Jantschek

Post by Stefan Jantschek » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:13 pm

Just for that Capture-Thing I will pay the update price.
That´s sacred.
Since day one my music is different after hitting record.
:mrgreen:

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:17 pm

Stefan Jantschek wrote: Since day one my music is different after hitting record.
My fingers lose 20% of their dexterity and I forget the chord sequence immediately that the record button is pressed.
these days I have my FCB footpedals linked up so that really helps. A pedal for "record into selected clip", then "arm session", then "undo/redo", then "delete". Etc. Has really helped me get parts into the box.

I wonder how long the memory is on this Capture function? Does it grab every note and controller twist from whenever the track was armed, and put all of that into a clip ... because that might be half an hour of me titting around!

tedlogan

Post by tedlogan » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:34 pm

It looks like a very nice upgrade. I'm certainly going to, just for the Push 2 updates alone. And the multitude of small but very welcome improvements too of course.

tedlogan

Post by tedlogan » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:43 pm

Apologies if it's been stated and I missed it - but is MIDI polyphonic Expression supported in 10? Considering that Push is capable of this (I think), I sure hope so. Linnstrument/ Seaboard / Soundplane etc too...
Last edited by tedlogan on Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RadioOnMars

Post by RadioOnMars » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:43 pm

Angstrom wrote:
Stefan Jantschek wrote: Since day one my music is different after hitting record.
My fingers lose 20% of their dexterity and I forget the chord sequence immediately that the record button is pressed.
these days I have my FCB footpedals linked up so that really helps. A pedal for "record into selected clip", then "arm session", then "undo/redo", then "delete". Etc. Has really helped me get parts into the box.

I wonder how long the memory is on this Capture function? Does it grab every note and controller twist from whenever the track was armed, and put all of that into a clip ... because that might be half an hour of me titting around!
Every note, pitchbend and CC is there from when you started playing. If there's a gap of twenty or thirty seconds, this will be chopped. If you're changing tracks, or channels, it's since you switched to this instrument. You'll probably want the 'Crop Clip' command.
If Live is stopped, it will work out the BPM and place everything to the grid, keeping the feel of the notes in between the barline positions.