10 is announced!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Stromkraft

Re: 10 is announced!

Post by Stromkraft » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:55 am

bubbleandsquawk wrote:
I've figured out how to do it via the mac IAC driver for now…
Do you know of any other ways to sync DAWs?
I've used the internal MIDI (IAC) for syncing Live to Traktor, but no proper DAW as I don't need any other. There are also a number of the soft-MIDI outing apps out there.

Likely it could be a good idea to sync both apps to the same external hardware MIDI clock, if possible. That's one of the better ways to sync a machine park anyway. MIDI jitter can be a real problem, so a dedicated MIDI clock unit is nice to have.
Make some music!

gg_bristol

Post by gg_bristol » Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:24 pm

Looking at this now in Live 10, unfortunately it seems that this restriction still exists.

Make it go away! :D
gg_bristol wrote:Have we finally got more than 128 automatable parameters in Live 10?? :o

Rivanni

Post by Rivanni » Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:33 pm

antic604 wrote:
[jur] wrote:
antic604 wrote:So how are you finding the new global show/hide automation toggle?

Personally, I find it being a step back. In my music, I don't have a lot of tracks - typically 20-30 - but almost each of them has several lines of automation: sometimes 1, sometimes 10. In Live 9 I could have most tracks collapsed to 1-unit size, 2-3 expanded so that I can see the waveform / MIDI notes and one completely expanded with automation visible. Now, in Live 10 Beta that's not possible, because once the global show automation toggle is on, it shows all automation lanes for all tracks taller than 1 unit. Obviously one can hide some of the lines, by clicking 'x', but then when you want it back you need to right-click, select 'show all automation lanes', hide the ones you don't want, etc.

I think the per-track hide/show automation toggle should be brought back (global toggle can stay, I'd keep it on).
Don't forget to bring this to the beta forum, please. I'm also on the grumpy side about this.
This is a very important topic, and it's worth discussing it.
I did yesterday, but noone upvoted it yet :(
https://ableton.centercode.com/project/ ... eedc431b47

I really want to but the site is still down.

I also like to see a button added to show all automation or that indicates that a track has hidden automation. When you click the minus button to remove the automation lane you only can see if the track had automation by looking in the dropdown list. The you have to add them one by one. I'd rather have the arrow that expands the automation lanes in Live 9 always visible so that it can also be used to expand al hidden automation. Maybe via SHIFT clicking and normal clicking for the Live 9 behaviour.

In Live 9 there was the context menu option Add lane for each automated envelope but that one is totally gone in 10 which makes is very unwieldy to shown all automation lanes.
Edit: I see this context menu option is still there but it has moved. You now have to click below the Automation Control Chooser.
Last edited by Rivanni on Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

saski

Post by saski » Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:39 pm

So...bit late to the party.

Can we now do fades on multiple parts in arrange?

Rivanni

Post by Rivanni » Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:58 pm

saski wrote:So...bit late to the party.

Can we now do fades on multiple parts in arrange?

Welcome.

No.
Upvote here:
https://ableton.centercode.com/project/ ... 1a0c3b1373

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:22 am

bubbleandsquawk wrote:
Machinesworking wrote:Got in on the beta. Opened up Live 10 in rewire slave mode, was able to load one of the three??? drum racks it could see?? and play the drum editor in Push 2.
Tried loading the Wave table synth into another Live track and it cashed Digital Performer..

Pretty crazy though that Ableton are able to and working on implementing Live being able to access Push 2 in slave mode, but cannot get Max 4 Live to work....
Of the two IMO it would figure that sending controller messages to two different DAWs in rewire mode would be more likely to cause stability issues than embedded M4L...

Oh and yes, this is awesome if the bugs get worked out! Maschine pretty much is getting put to the wayside compared to the capabilities that Live as a drum machine has for any DAW.
I really didn't work that much with Live rewired before because of how much functionality in Push gets lost, but if they nail this bugs wise, then Live is always useful even when working in other DAWs.
This sounds promising!
To be clear here, Live in rewire slave mode still loses Max 4 Live, and still loses the ability to host VSTs.
The Max 4 Live thing is still problematic as M4L cover the LFO...

What it does do though is allow you to use the Drum Racks with Push as a drum machine just like you can when not rewired, and still lights up as a controller for MIDI note entering etc. I'm going into it some more today since it's one of my favorite new features of 10.

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:09 am

The multi-channel M4L feature is worth the upgrade alone for me. I'm actually going to start using Live again after laying off of it for a couple of years.

When they release the info on how to route signals internally through the API things are going to get really crazy.
Unsound Designer

Soarer

Post by Soarer » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:18 am

I've been playing with the beta the last couple of days and it certainly feels great to have Live 10 on my system. It feels like getting a brand new and refreshed Ableton Live with the new look and the many useful new features and overall it feels a lot quicker and more efficient to use.

There's much to like.
I'm very very happy with Capture since I always rehearse a synth part on Push for a while and then press record when it's finally right. No need for this anymore. I press capture and that final rehearse where I got it right is right there. A really helpful feature and a great time saver!
Personally I'm a big fan of the new favorites "folders" and have been missing those for years. Now I have the things I use all the time in one or two places.
The ability to route a drum cell's output into a separate processing bus is great and something I have been waiting for years.
It's a whole new situation now being able to use M4L without having to worry about loading times, cpu usage and slowing down Live. It works very well now. I hope to see some cool updates to the existing devices and more well made devices from Ableton.

Echo is great! I'm getting a lot of good results with it and the pitching of the delays sounds great when changing delay times. I see many uses for this new delay/reverb effect.
Wavetable is great as well and it works so well with Push 2. Got some fine sounds out of it. Don't know if I'll be using it that much since I have another great wavetable synth but we'll see.
The Drum Bus effect is a welcome addition which easily brings good results.
The new 32 Notes step sequencer is fun to play with and allows for some creative sequences.

SvenH

Post by SvenH » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:04 pm

Soarer wrote:Wavetable is great as well and it works so well with Push 2. Got some fine sounds out of it.
Nice to hear that Wavetable works well with Push 2. Are all parameters mapped to Push? Is the Push layout good enough to encourage patch creation without using the computer keyboard at all?

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:07 pm

The Push paramater mapping for wavetable is a dream. In fact all the parameter mapping for native devices is really wonderful.

Post by re:dream » Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:10 pm

In other news: clicking on that cross-hatched clip marker that you see in a group track (the group slot)... opens multi-clip editing for all the clips in that scene. Lovely.

cskracer

Post by cskracer » Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:25 pm

re:dream wrote:The Push paramater mapping for wavetable is a dream. In fact all the parameter mapping for native devices is really wonderful.
It's a shame we still have to rely on things like PrEditor to gain full control of mapping for 3rd party devices on Push though.

It's almost as though Ableton are purposely making it difficult to keep users in their ecosystem.

Post by re:dream » Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:11 pm

If they wanted to make it difficult, they would not make it possible for Isotonik to do all those scripts. :roll:

Speaking of which, are there scripts for Zebra and Bazille? It would be nice to tweak those monsters without having to click on a mouse/

tedlogan

Post by tedlogan » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:29 pm

Yes, Wavetable is mapped very cleverly for Push 2, especially how they solved using the modulation matrix. Probably the first synth where I actually enjoy creating new patches from Push.

And the synth itself is pretty impressive. You can coax an almost infinite number of rich textures and sounds out of it. I think it sounds bloody great, and I usually use Bazille, Hive, Repro 1/5 and Zebra. Not that these are wavetable synths to compare to, apart from Zebra's functionality, I just mean overall sound.

Soarer

Post by Soarer » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:51 pm

Hmmm... I find it a bit harsh or hard and still get way more character and fullness with my other synths.
It helps to add an EQ with a wide dip in the mid range but I think the sound quality should be improved.